Why become a member? ×

Fender USA standard vs spesh

Kobra11

The main differences are in the pickups and the bridge and the case. The standard comes wth a nice Fender hard case, a hi mass bridge and the custom shop 60's pickup. The specials come with a gigbag, a standard bridge and their "standard" vintage pickups. The neck shapes are also slightly different, with the special's having a slightly slimmer neck than the standard. Everything is is pretty much the same, including the graphite re-inforcement in the necks.
I have played both and was particularly impressed with the special P, which was possibly the nicest P I have ever played. The J was less impressive for me, and I liked the standard better (pickups difference mostly I'd guess).

Try looking for an end of line 2008 series Precision. I got mine from PMT, for £786.

Full US Standard Spec, including case, high-mass bridge etc. Only real difference from the 2012 Series is not having the Custom Shop Pickup.

Edited by Lozz196

Hmmm. I much prefer the current US Standard pickup. I had some of those once and found them a little bit thin and brittle sounding. Nice for clank.

I wouldn't be paying £200 extra for them to be factory fitted anyway. They're only about £60-£70 a set.

edit : didn't see the hardcase or the bridge. I really like the migh mass bridge. Best bridge I've used.

Edited by bigjohn

the pickups that come with the new US standard P-basses are the ones with the raised pole pieces, and I think they sound fantastic. For me they are definitely a step up from my old P-bass. I picked up my 2012 P bass for a grand, and I'm very happy with it.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1363868838' post='2018626']
Are the "Custom Shop" 60s pickups the same as these?

Part Number is : 099-2046-000
[/quote]

Nope the ones fitted to 2012 US standards are *NOT* the same as these. I know because I've just swapped the CS's for a set of the 'Originals' in the pictutre above. The CS ones are a little darker sounding than the Originals, with less upper mids to my ear. They have lots of low end, plus some grind and some treble, but with a bit of a scoop in the mids. The Originals are more full range and 'polite', whereas CS's have a harder, darker, more modern rock vibe. Kinda.

Man, it's hard trying to describe sounds with words without falling back on cheesy cliches...!

I've played a good number of Am. Spl.'s. Several have a problem with the Grease-bucket electronics in them. They cut out as you play them. The last one at a local shop I tried out, was an Am. Spl. 2012 Precision, with the hand rubbed finished body. It looked great. The neck was straight, not twisted like some I've seen. It just cut out. For the $200. buckaroos, the Am. Std. is well worth the extra outlay of cash. The hardshell case runs about $140. by itself. The High-Mass bridge is an upgrade, and it also allows you to string either through the body, or straight through up top. On the Maple fretboards, they are definitely better on the Am. Std. over the Am. Spl. Like I mentioned before, the electronics parts aren't the same. I do believe the Am. Std. is one of the best current passive Fender Series Basses, not factoring in the higher priced active Am. Deluxe Series. Just my opinion.

Edited by gsgbass

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1364238948' post='2023709']
I just bought a new 2012 Am Std P with the CS pups. At first I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the tone. Then I put the Labella Flats on it and ooh matron..... yes, yes, yes ...best P I've had yet and I've had 6.
[/quote]

I agree with you. The first thing I did with my 2012 Am. Std. P was restring with the D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewounds. A flat string sound in a Nylon.