Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

P Bass bridge replacement

Stroopy121

Ahoy.

Probably covering old ground here but I've just bought a crappy P of fleabay to do up. All new hardware and pups etc. She has a thru-body mount, but I need to double check if it's 3 or 5 hole!

Anyway, I want an ashtray type bridge cover and a pup cover on her, but I also want a nice, solid bridge on there. I understand a Badass 2 won't fit underneath a standard bridge cover? What about a hipshot A style?

What about this gotoh? [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gotoh-201-Bass-Bridge-Black-Chrome-fits-Fender-bass-/230921718573?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35c401cb2d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gotoh-201-Bass-Bridge-Black-Chrome-fits-Fender-bass-/230921718573?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35c401cb2d[/url]

Any good? Would it be as good as a high-mass option? I have a Babicz on a J-Bass which I rather love, but it definitely won't fit under a cover!

Any recommendations happily recieved.

xx

Nothing wrong with a standard bent bit of tin.
I've got a bad ass II on one Precision and a BBOT on the other. I've swapped them from bass to bass and found bugger all difference apart from the extra weight.
I'd just go for something like a Wilikinson at £14 and spend the rest on beer.

As above, BBOT is fine. If a better bridge is needed for intonation adjustment/less sharp screws etc, I`d seek out either the Fender Hi-Mass Bridge, as found on the 2008 onwards series if thru-body stringing available, or if not, the Gotoh as shown.

I have fitted both Hipshot A and Gotoh bridges to P.Basses and, for what I need, prefer the Hipshot A. Whether it fits under a cover or not I don't know, but it is a serioously good bit of kit. It also has quick fit for the string ends, rather than having to string them through, which might be useful if you have a cover fitted. If you need to know the clearance I can measure it if you like.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1363774216' post='2017240']
I have fitted both Hipshot A and Gotoh bridges to P.Basses and, for what I need, prefer the Hipshot A. Whether it fits under a cover or not I don't know, but it is a serioously good bit of kit. It also has quick fit for the string ends, rather than having to string them through, which might be useful if you have a cover fitted. If you need to know the clearance I can measure it if you like.
[/quote]

If you'd be so kind as to measure it that'd be absolutely lovely, cheers!

xx

The Schaller 3D is pretty low profile and gives you side to side string spacing adjustment with the wee rollers.

Thanks to those ever so precise and efficient Germans, here is all the skinny: http://guitar-machine-heads.com/download/C1ffcfe16X12a3cdeff9eX1d97/BassSteg_3D_4.pdf

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1363774893' post='2017254']
If you'd be so kind as to measure it that'd be absolutely lovely, cheers!

xx
[/quote]

I have the action 'reasonably' low and to the top of the saddle is 18mm. I compared this with a P-Bass I have with the BBOT and it is the same to the top of the saddle screw. Then again, that hasn't got a cover, either!