Why become a member? ×

Have you ever seen a P bass like this?

parker_muse

[quote name='The Burpster' post='21906' date='Jun 22 2007, 02:07 PM']Chris...... OMG does that mean My 40th Anni P has a poo image? Its beautiful...... I Certainly wouldnt turn up at an audition with it as I wouldnt want to damge it.......
Oh and to be pedantic..... I didnt once mention that the Elite II isnt any good, it WAS unpopular hence it didnt sell in large numbers........
Sigourney Weaver is not a popular actress at the moment (but I wouldnt crawl over her to get to you! :huh: ) b ut that does not mean shes no good.... I was hoping that some of the above would read your thread and get better educated about the P bass history....

:)[/quote]

Fair point, apologies for the misunderstanding. I still think that the fact a bass is withdrawn doesn't necessarily mean it was unpopular. The EBMM SUB is extremely popular but was withdrawn due to the fact that EB are making a loss on them and they are also so good they're cutting into sales of 'rays. The Elite was one bloody well put together beast compared to standard Fender models (as is your PB 40th Anni) and I doubt it was cheap to produce, so perhaps that's one factor?
You didn't buy that 40th from me on ebay last March did you?
Oh, and trust me, if I was lying next to SW, you would get a look in anyway :huh:
Cheers Bob

No probs bud.... My 40th is a NOS from the US I picked up a few months ago (if you ask me very nice I might give you the name of the shop as they seem to have a few old oddities they put up mostly Fenders so I know you'd love it!!!!) ..... its mint and No. 62 of 400 (62 being the year I was born so I luuuuurve it!) Wish I could stop it hummiong tho' :)

Being good and popular (read- lots of sales) unfortunately do not go hand in hand, and what grips my **it, is that a magazine reviewer says someting is great and everyone goes goo goo... they say they dont like and everyone immmediatley thinks its poo.......

and if we ever get to lie each side of SW we best let her decide..... (unless she fancies a 3 some......)

:huh:

Something seriously wrong with that picture... that wouldnt be a customshop, at least the pickguard wouldnt be, it looks too much like someone's rough sketch... or the pup combo...

Even if that is "vintage", Vintage basses lose a lot of their value the further away they are from their original state.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='21999' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:13 PM']I said so up there... £300.[/quote]

If it plays and sound amazing, is structurally sound and the PUPs/electrics are good, it could - emphasis on could - be worth the asking price. However, I doubt it is; it's from a period of very poor QC at Fender so the abore is immediately in question. Furthemore one of the reasons some of the late 70s Precisions sounded so good and had such great tone and sustain was their solid (and heavy) bodies. Yours has probably got a good deal of wood missing as I doubt what's under that pickguard is particularly pretty. If you buy it on the basis that it sounds and feels great in the shop, you still won't know if it's a keeper until you've played it through your own rig, rehearsed it live and gigged it. If after this it's not a keeper, you will have real problems getting your money back. In fact, I doubt you'd get more than £400 if you auctioned it on ebay.
If you're really keen - and something tells me you are - print this thread, show it to the seller and offer £500 cash (and show him the cash). He'll aks for £700 and you'll agree £600, but either way I expect he's keen to get rid of it so do not pay what he's asking :)
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='parker_muse' post='22034' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:48 PM']Okay... now... where can a GAS ravaged jobless teenager get £500 :)
I've got a big super soaker, but i don't think he'd be interested in that :huh:[/quote]

To bring a sense of reality into this discussion, I just bought a great all-original (finish and all) TV-Logo '72 P for 800 quid on eBay. No way is that bass up there worth anywhere near £500.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='22037' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:55 PM']To bring a sense of reality into this discussion, I just bought a great all-original (finish and all) TV-Logo '72 P for 800 quid on eBay. No way is that bass up there worth anywhere near £500.[/quote]

I've seen potentuially worse`basses go for more, and you have to admit your '72 was a stroke of luck and not a regular ebay event :)
You're probably right though!
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='parker_muse' post='22064' date='Jun 22 2007, 06:48 PM']No no no, just some thoughts on it.
Surely a 70's 4001 is worth more the 850?
The thing is, its got an EMG instead of the original pup.[/quote]

A 70's Ric - £1,100 - £1,500

That 70's Ric - £600