Why become a member? ×

Looking for gigs in Sussex, Surrey etc..

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if you guys could recommend any venues you've played at recently as good gigs for a covers band to do?

We play mainly in Sussex and usually nearer the coastal towns such as Brighton, Eastbourne, Burgess Hill, Worthing etc. The furtherst north we've travelled is East Grinstead at the Crow's Nest, but apart from that, not a lot else...

We'd definitely like to explore new venues in places such as Horsham, Hayward's Heath, Chichester etc, and in any other areas that people think of as good music towns/venues??

The sort of music we play is anything from The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Prince through to U2, Bowie, Springsteen, Snow Patrol and The Killers.

So if anyone's got some suggestions or recommendations, we'd be grateful!

Thanks,

Nik

The Hogshead in Horsham had just started doing live music before I moved over this way.

[url="http://www.maltshovel.com/"]http://www.maltshovel.com/[/url]

Can't think of anywhere around Haywards Heath and environs.

Is Tunbridge Wells too far? The Kelsey Arms does a lot of music. West Kent College also book a lot of bands.

A bit nearer for you and yours is the Crown in Heathfield.

Nik

Try the Fountain in Chi South Street. Cosy (by which I mean a funny shape & not a huge amount of room for the band) but if my lot can get in you will be able to, and though I have not been to the Bells in Chiddingly in years as you fit there I am sure you could manage the Fountain.

Talk more when we manage that pint & I hope the videos did not scare the family :) Oh and let me know any goodies you find we might get away with.

Hi Nick,

You could try these:

The Hope Queens Road, Brighton
The Prince Albert Trafalgar Street, Brighton
The Brunswick Holland Road, Hove
The Portland Rock Bar Portland Road, Hove

Edited by Stewart

Thanks guys! That's really helpful.. :)

Will pass the info onto Tony, our guitarist, who always books the gigs..

If we get any of those gigs, I'll let you know and just a thought, but can I say we were recommended by your bands?

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='208519' date='May 28 2008, 11:29 PM']If we get any of those gigs, I'll let you know and just a thought, but can I say we were recommended by your bands?
Cheers
Nik[/quote]
Yes. Given Ben wants Tony to be his dep if ever needed I have no problem with that at all!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

One (covers - The Fire Llamas) or other (blues-rock - Rum Boogie) or sometimes both of my bands have played at or are booked to play at the following venues in and around Brighton in 2008:

The Ship, Newhaven (covers)
The Telscombe Tavern, Telscombe (covers)
The Ship, East Grinstead (covers)
The Elms, Worthing (covers)
The Schooner, Shoreham (both)
The Black Horse, Rottingdean (covers)
The Master Mariner, Brighton Marina (both)
The Hassocks Hotel (covers)
The Lion & Lobster, Sillcote Street, Brighton (blues-rock)
The Pelham Arms, Lewes (covers)
The Dinkum, Polegate (blues-rock)
The Carlisle, Hastings (blues-rock)
The Ocean Rooms, Brighton (blues-rock) - this was a student union night that we got booked for after doing a NO2ID benefit on the Falmer campus
The Cob & Pen, Littlehampton (blues-rock)
The Horse & Groom, Brighton (both)
The Portland, Hove (both)
Six Bells, Chiddingly (blues-rock)

and probably some others I can't recall at the moment. I don't usually book the gigs for either band but I know it takes a lot of work at some of those venues and usually a CD and many visits or phone calls but once you are in you can get rebooked. But any of those might be worth trying, so good luck.

P.S. And it seems the blues-rock band are banned from both the Ranelagh and the Brunswick for being too loud - oh dear.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='216480' date='Jun 10 2008, 10:51 PM']One (covers - The Fire Llamas) or other (blues-rock - Rum Boogie) or sometimes both of my bands have played at or are booked to play at the following venues in and around Brighton in 2008:

The Ship, Newhaven (covers)
The Telscombe Tavern, Telscombe (covers)
The Ship, East Grinstead (covers)
The Elms, Worthing (covers)
The Schooner, Shoreham (both)
The Black Horse, Rottingdean (covers)
The Master Mariner, Brighton Marina (both)
The Hassocks Hotel (covers)
The Lion & Lobster, Sillcote Street, Brighton (blues-rock)
The Pelham Arms, Lewes (covers)
The Dinkum, Polegate (blues-rock)
The Carlisle, Hastings (blues-rock)
The Ocean Rooms, Brighton (blues-rock) - this was a student union night that we got booked for after doing a NO2ID benefit on the Falmer campus
The Cob & Pen, Littlehampton (blues-rock)
The Horse & Groom, Brighton (both)
The Portland, Hove (both)
Six Bells, Chiddingly (blues-rock)

and probably some others I can't recall at the moment. I don't usually book the gigs for either band but I know it takes a lot of work at some of those venues and usually a CD and many visits or phone calls but once you are in you can get rebooked. But any of those might be worth trying, so good luck.

P.S. And it seems the blues-rock band are banned from both the Ranelagh and the Brunswick for being too loud - oh dear.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions! We've played quite a number of those venues but about half of them we haven't, so it could be really useful!!

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='Bassmurf' post='217372' date='Jun 12 2008, 09:00 AM']Venues I can suggest are:

The Malt Shovel, Horsham
The Holbrook social club, Horsham
The Green Dragon, Horsham
The Railway, Crawley
The Tilgate, Crawley

Hope that's of some help![/quote]
Thanks for those! Not heard of most of those so that's great...

Nik