Why become a member? ×

Amp

Kaiu

I currently use a musicman sterling through a Sansamp into an Aguilar DB750 + 2 GS410's.

However the DI on the Sansamp actually sounds better than running it before the Aguilar and taking the DI from the Amp.
The Aguilar seems to make it a little 'wooly'.

Given that I'm using in-ear monitors and our soundguy really dislikes using a mic (as we have quite a lot going on with 2 double mesa stacks, and it never actually sounds that great in my ears!). Surely my DB750 is completely redundant!

Anyway, I tried out an SVT II the other day and the sound was more what I was looking for. Like the sansamp but with more 'balls'.

I was thinking of trading my DB750 for an SVT and running an Avalon U5 (http://www.avalondesign.com/instrudi.html) after the amp to try and get the tone of the power tubes aswell.

Has anyone had experience with speaker level di's? and do they do a good job of replicating the sound?

If they aren't that great I think I'd be better off just keeping the Sansamp and running into the power section of the db750 if i ever need a 'conventional' amp

I'd hate to fork out £1000+ on an Ampeg without it being heard past the first few rows.

Thanks,

ed

I have a Peavey speaker DI box that I used successfully for a while before I got an amp with DI output. (Yours for a tenner if you want to give it a go!)
You wont go far wrong with Ampeg stuff though - I use an SVT3 Pro into a 4x10 and its the nearest to a big SVT 8x10 rig I've found.

After a few tours with a small stack (only one 4x10) I decided I could happily gig/tour with rented amps (usually Ampeg) and rely on my ten year old Sansamp for house and stage monitor. You have to set it up carefully, esp the blend control, but it really does the job.

If I already owned an Aguilar setup like that, and was happy to shift it around, I'd try a good passive DI (Radial) run from the amp's preamp (or effects send..) to hear the real tone of the amp is. They've got a great reputation. Then you could use the sansamp more as an occaisional effect, just to dirty things up for the louder bits??

My experience was mainly on blues/rock gigs, so the bass sound wasn't critical...it just had to warm and a bit fuzzy!

BB