Why become a member? ×

NBD - Lakland content

thumbo

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1362869910' post='2005758']
I've already got a Bob Glaub :) geezer was one of my early influences too. Infact the first song my first band learned was paranoid :)
[/quote]

I'm assuming it's a Bob Glaub modded with the Sabbath inlays anyway - as I believe he was playing those before he got his signature model, might have different pickups / neck profile though.

Love the fretboard wood on the NAMM one, just lovely.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1363695741' post='2015915']
I love that look. I think black on back looks much nicer than a white PG.

This is my old one

[/quote]

I bet that sounded great with the P pickup! I'm a big fan of the P/J combo.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1363785297' post='2017546']
I'm assuming it's a Bob Glaub modded with the Sabbath inlays anyway - as I believe he was playing those before he got his signature model, might have different pickups / neck profile though.

Love the fretboard wood on the NAMM one, just lovely.
[/quote]

The bass on display at the NAMM show is a prototype - Lakland and Geezer are working on some final revisions to the create the finished model at the moment , and hope to have the final version ready in time to be unveiled at this July's NAMM show in Nashville . I am not not sure in what way , but I think the bass has some differences to a standard Bob Glaub / 44-64 other than the cosmetic ones that are obvious in the photographs . This is the first signature model Geezer has ever agreed to , and he wants it to be perfect before he puts his name to it and recommends it to other players .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1363796840' post='2017823']
Funny you should say that as i thought it was the worst sounding bass i'd owned. Seriously, i never clicked with it, not as stock, not as a PJ. A filed experiment on my part.
Now i want it back lol.
[/quote]

Interesting, I wonder what this could be down to?
I'm surprised at the difference in tone between my DJ4 and DJ5, they've both got that mid-rangey jazz quality about them but they're entirely different beasts. The DJ5 with the Aeros has a much mellower sound to it compared to the in-yer-face quality of the Lakland brand pickups.

Mine had Hanson's in it, and then Nordstrands, but i always felt the tone was too mellow and warm. Compared to all the other Jazz basses ive owned (not that many) it just didnt seem to cut through, nor did it as a P bass.
Of course just before i sold it i started to love it and would now love to still own it.

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1363953543' post='2020015']
Interesting, I wonder what this could be down to?
I'm surprised at the difference in tone between my DJ4 and DJ5, they've both got that mid-rangey jazz quality about them but they're entirely different beasts. The DJ5 with the Aeros has a much mellower sound to it compared to the in-yer-face quality of the Lakland brand pickups.
[/quote]

When Lakland / Hanson designed those pickups they listened very carefully to the Aeros and the Lindy Fralins they were already and tried to design a pickup that combined the best qualities of both . I think they did a great job , and I would be happy with Hanson pickups even though I love the Aeros and the Fralins .

Edited by Dingus

Im pretty sure it was the wood rather than the pups. Everything just sounded a bit deeper and warmer than i would have liked. Even with a complete new set of pups on it it still had that underlying tone.
I will say though that when i got my second Duck Dunn I didn't like the Hanson in that, so swapped it out for a Fralin.