Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many DJ after the band set ?

swanbrook

I play and run a busy wedding / corp band and every bride or function always want a DJ after our set. I was giving this to a few local guys but got stuck on night and had to do it myself. So after seeing how easy it is I spent a few quid on DJ set up and hey presto saving my self a small fortune every night now. I hated it at fist as I had no interest in doing it but now I am getting into the swing if it. I am not talking club DJ skills here just keeping a dance floor full at a wedding and having a lot of craic doing it. We have a 5 k rig so it saves setting up another DJ pa too.

So just wondering how many other guys are doing it too ?

We do it when required, usually via a laptop. It's more of a playlist that we'll tweak on the fly than full blown DJing but we keep them dancing so it must be doing alright!

By the time we're finished with that, the band gear is all packed down and we just have to drop the PA and make a quick escape!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1362670767' post='2003138']
Nope..because it delays the exit and prolongs the time spent at the gig.

We quote for 2 hrs and after that we are packing up.
[/quote]
Hopefully the bride and groom will ring another band more obliging and pay a little bit more for the priveledge then :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1362670767' post='2003138']
Nope..because it delays the exit and prolongs the time spent at the gig.

We quote for 2 hrs and after that we are packing up.
[/quote]

Over here it's a given that you will quote for both, I used to sub it out to dj's but after being let down by clowns started doing it myself.

We tend to be more interactive than most guys who just play a set playlist but that's only because we find it hard to stay off the mic anyway !

The money I was spending on dj's now goes to the band so it's an extra few quid for us :)

It does make for a very long late night however ....

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1362648711' post='2002565']
We do it when required, usually via a laptop. It's more of a playlist that we'll tweak on the fly than full blown DJing but we keep them dancing so it must be doing alright!

By the time we're finished with that, the band gear is all packed down and we just have to drop the PA and make a quick escape!
[/quote]

Yeah same here by the time we are finished we are almost packed up so if we stop at 2 we are in the van by 2:15

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362679689' post='2003313']
Hopefully the bride and groom will ring another band more obliging and pay a little bit more for the priveledge then :)
[/quote]

They should know what they are getting... they should have seen us and want us for what we do...
If they want anything else... or they want to influence the set, not really interested and they are more than welcome to look elsewhere.
We aren't a wedding band and avoid them mostly.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362681659' post='2003352']
LED lights are also great as they dont get hot so they can be unplugged and in the van 2 mins after the last drunken tosser has offered out the brides brother or started telling you about his mate at works Gibson Stradavaricastor worth millions :D
[/quote]

And you wonder why we don't want to do them..??? :lol: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1362689644' post='2003497']

And you wonder why we don't wanut to do them..??? :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

And I find it the opposite, bars and clubs are full of muppets who drive you mental at the end of the night. At weddings as soon as the DJ is finished they all bugger off to the residents bar. Plus it's 3 times the money ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1362689527' post='2003495']

They should know what they are getting... they should have seen us and want us for what we do...
If they want anything else... or they want to influence the set, not really interested and they are more than welcome to look elsewhere.
We aren't a wedding band and avoid them mostly.
[/quote]

Well we wouldn't do a dj set at anything other than a wedding/function.

Yep,VDJ on a laptop with a few choice playlists that can be adapted for requests etc.
Also a few led moving lights etc.
Way I see it is we will have a much better PA than the local DJ anyhow and we are there to work.
If that means manning a laptop for a couple of hours for another £100 that's fine.
Looking at projectors and cams next!