Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Midget

JapanAxe

Although the Midget gets plenty of references throughout Basschat, I can't see a review thread devoted solely to it, so this is it!

I ordered a Compact in late September, then almost immediately bought a used one from Shockwave, so I changed my order to a Midget. I paid the extra for the vintage silver grille cloth to match the Compact, and because it looks cool! Anyway, it arrived last week.

I plugged it in briefly just to check it was working, and wasn't surprised to hear a predominance of upper mids. Then I ran a 25Hz signal (from an iPad app) through it for 8 hours, though I probably only had it loud enough for the last hour or two. Took it to a rehearsal in the guitarist's home studio - sounded damned fine after dialling in a touch of extra bass and a tad less upper mids.

Gigged it last Saturday with my Sandberg Cali VM4 through my TC Classic 450. The band consisted of me (bass and vocals), female singer, guitarist (electric / steel-string acoustic / nylon-string acoustic), and drummer (electronic kit). The venue was a high-ceilinged hall built in 1860, and we had to keep the volume reasonable. For the first two sets the amp was still a little 'forward' in the mids, but by the third set it had attained a lovely plummy fullness. The sound from this tiny lightweight cab housing a single 12 is astounding! I had my amp on 3 and it was plenty loud enough.

I have also tried the Midget/Compact stack at home, and that simply rocks! Can't wait to take that rig on a louder indie/punk gig.

Here's the stage setup:

[attachment=129142:P&H_CornExchange.jpg]

And here's the stack at home:

[attachment=129143:BF_stack.jpg]

Once you get used to the Compact+Midget pairing (this can take as long as several seconds) you'll rarely want to use the two cabs independently if it's possible to keep them together. The sound is simply lush.

As a stand-alone cab though, the Midget is truly astonishing. How something that small can sound so big is quite beyond me. The 12" handles the low B with ease (no farting out) and keeps up with a loud acoustic drum kit having seven bells knocked out of it.

It won't fit in the top-box of a Honda CB200, but it's close ...

• 1 month later...

yes my fiends(sorry friends) great cabs.....the eminence 3012ho is a monster
of a driver......i have bought two....going to put them in my berg ht.....ex cabs
......lighter weight and a little louder...and hopefully a better sound .