Why become a member? ×

Moog Minitaur question

still-young

Sonuus B2M would do it. I've not tried one myself but it would allow you to track the pitch of your bass and turn it into MIDI information, which can control the notes played by the Minitaur. Meant to be some tracking issues or latency though.

You can also run your bass through the external input on the Minitaur, but you can only use the filter (not the filter envelope) and a note needs to have been triggered by something to open the filter for you.

In short, you are probably better off getting an external keyboard.

I'd opt for one like the Novation Impulse keyboard range. You can use a USB to Mini-usb cable with (e.g.) an iPod plug to power the keyboard (it's powered via USB, normally only from a computer), run Midi to the Minitaur, then assign particular knobs/buttons on the controller to the underthehood features of the Minitaur. E.g. knobs assigned to external input level, beat frequency of VCO2, or buttons to provide tap tempo to the LFO, or turn note sync on/off, or set different buttons to different rhythmic values of the LFO frequency relative to the tempo.

At the very least, you'll want extra knobs/buttons to access hidden functions.

Yes. For bass, wholeheartedly. Nothing like it for its size. Beautiful bass sound.

For general synth purposes, less so. It is range limited to C5 due to its voltage architecture.

If you want big bass, no range limits, and a keyboard, you're better off with the new Sub Phatty.

Or even better get a vintage Moog Rogue - usually cost around 350 - 420 dependent on condition. Totally analog, not too big but have a decent keyboard and range and will hold their value. Many swear by them for sub bass, infact the Rogue was the synth engine of the Moog Taurus 2 bass pedals (the Moog on a stick as it was nicknamed ) I also have a Micromoog - rarer but equally useful for bass or lead sounds.

Edited by ash

Or if you have an iPad try this - http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/iMini/intro.html
A minimoog clone for under a tenner! Just got mine today and its very good. :)

Edited by ash

I think if you've already got a Little Phatty as a dedicated bassist then I agree you'd have a hard time justifying another 450 or so for a dedicated bass module. That said, the Minitaur does what it does SO well it's more or less slated my lust for a more full-featured synth.

I've mounted mine on a microphone stand using an ipad clamp, and I have my McMillen 12 step at my feet for controlling it. I do like using a keyboard with it, but generally it sounds best (to my ears) doing biiiiig held notes and tweaking the knobs to coax different timbres out of it, OR sequenced lines. While I've practiced playing sequenced lines using a keyboard, it's not quite as satisfying as using pre-prepared sequences and knob tweaking from there.