Why become a member? ×

New Jule Monique with Demeter 800w power amp - Could just be my 'perfect' amp!

molan

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1376518041' post='2175521']
On further reflection, the EQ on the Monique is not the scalpel like tone control of modern amps, it is more like a broad brush which brings the goodness without trying too hard. Maybe I like it because I cannot seem to mess it up?
[/quote]

The EQ is stated to be 'non-interactive' - so it's not like e.g. a Fender tone stack, or the Genz Benz Streamliner stuff, etc. If it has a wide enough 'Q' then it'll have a gentle slope and from what I understand most EQ shifts will sound musical. As far as I understand it anyway...I am a relative newbie in this arena and will defer to others' expertise...

From the Talkbass Monique thread the 'Bass' knob is centred around 50 Hz-ish, so I guess rolling off the bass knob might well get rid of a fair amount of material around 40 - 60Hz too. I would guess you could make a bass sound a bit anaemic if you cut too much around here.

Alex's website has a nice page on this area - [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/Huge-lows.htm."]http://barefacedbass.../Huge-lows.htm.[/url]

Not to get too off topic, but I got a response back from Jim Bergantino re: my question about HPF in the IP112ER. I assume this info will probably extrapolate to other IP's too:

'There is a high pass filter in the IP, but it is on the low side and only there to protect the cab against any ultra low frequencies making their way to the amp. You may want to use a VHPF to adjust your tone, etc. This, along with the limiting is loaded into both the regular and dry settings. The dry setting has no further eq added to the system.'

Now, back on topic...I am definitely considering saving up for a Monique...

Edited by funkle

Ok - so it's now 'official' BassGear will be stocking Jule Monique pre-amps and the first order is in process :)

The Minnie power amp and module for the De-Monique is wholly manufactured by Demeter and is also being sorted right now.

Anyone that wants to pre-order against the first units of either Monique or Demeter pre-amps and Minnie power amps will get some additional discount. This is a BassChat members exclusive deal!

Is the Minnie 800D available with a rack mount kit? I think there would be a lot of call if this was 1u height 1/2u width and rackmountable. There's loads of guys interested in a lightweight pre and poweramp setup (me included). There just doesn't seem to be a good solution at the moment! In other words, something like the Amplite - but less anaemic!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1376516437' post='2175472']
The IP112ER puts out a ton of bass in some rooms (me likey...my other cabs are Acmes) and there are times when you need to be able to tame it to stop it from turning into a wall of mush.

I have read that the Monique doesn't have any high pass filtering built in (Greenboy forums - Monique thread). I'm assuming the DSP from the IP112ER probably handles that...I think...so all I'd need to know is if the 'Bass' knob on the Monique, when used appropriately, can cut some of the boom whilst maintaining a decent low end. Any thoughts?

Pete
[/quote]

When cranking all up to the max the speaker of the IP112ER can be troubled (if you don't use an extention cab).
First check is the bass controll on your bass. This one needs to be about neutral on high volumes.
Secondly there's a DSP switch at the back of the IP112ER which can be used as a high pass filter.

[b]WARNING: First switch the amp off and wait a few seconds before pushing this DSP button![/b]

When pushed in it allows some more low frequencies. Officially this is the setting when using an extention cab. It can however also be used stand-alone. The only difference is a bit more bass.

As far as I know the Minnie isn't currently available in a single rackmount format.

You can buy a Jule Monique as a rackmount with a Minnie inside it and you can also get some of James Demeter's racked pre-amps with the Minnie power amp inside.

However - I do have a price list that shows a rackmounted Minnie and, possibly a Minnie Twin with two of the little buggers together!

I'm due to speak to James Demeter later so I'll ask :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1376609607' post='2176945']
Is the Minnie 800D available with a rack mount kit? I think there would be a lot of call if this was 1u height 1/2u width and rackmountable. There's loads of guys interested in a lightweight pre and poweramp setup (me included). There just doesn't seem to be a good solution at the moment! In other words, something like the Amplite - but less anaemic!
[/quote]

Yep - literally just spoken to James and there is a Minnie Rackmount option :)

Don't have final prices but I think Minnie is looking like £975 in the UK with the rack at about £50 more. Final pricing will depend on how many we can order up front and shipping costs plus whatever the prevailing £ vs $ rate is.

There's also the monster 1600w D which is just 12lbs:

http://demeteramps.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=94

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376677185' post='2177997']
Yep - literally just spoken to James and there is a Minnie Rackmount option :)

Don't have final prices but I think Minnie is looking like £975 in the UK with the rack at about £50 more. Final pricing will depend on how many we can order up front and shipping costs plus whatever the prevailing £ vs $ rate is.

There's also the monster 1600w D which is just 12lbs:

[url="http://demeteramps.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=94"]http://demeteramps.u...1&product_id=94[/url]
[/quote]

Forgive the thread hijack, but are BG going to stock Demeter as well Barrie?

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1376677782' post='2178007']

Forgive the thread hijack, but are BG going to stock Demeter as well Barrie?
[/quote]

Absolutely :)

Will be placing the first order next week with delivery in about 6-7 weeks time.

Zap me a message if there's anything you fancy and we can add it to the order list :)

[quote name='Wiro' timestamp='1376641762' post='2177126']
When cranking all up to the max the speaker of the IP112ER can be troubled (if you don't use an extention cab).
First check is the bass controll on your bass. This one needs to be about neutral on high volumes.
Secondly there's a DSP switch at the back of the IP112ER which can be used as a high pass filter.

[b]WARNING: First switch the amp off and wait a few seconds before pushing this DSP button![/b]

When pushed in it allows some more low frequencies. Officially this is the setting when using an extention cab. It can however also be used stand-alone. The only difference is a bit more bass.
[/quote]

Thanks mate. I've been noticing no bass boost needed for this cab! Though I think my DSP button settings aren't for one or two cabs...it seems to be pushed in is 'dry' as opposed to 'extension cab' I've seen marked on the back of other IP's. Pushed in seriously reduces the amount of bass on my cab. Which makes sense with what Jim Bergantino said in my email.

Molan, how much for a Dove Cage Monique? Or the Rack Mount Monique?

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1376686018' post='2178131']

Molan, how much for a Dove Cage Monique? Or the Rack Mount Monique?
[/quote]

Don't have final pricing yet but approx estimates are £900 on the Dove Cage and £825 on the Rack.

It'll depend on shipping from the West coast and $ exchange rates. Should have it all sorted by Monday.