Why become a member? ×

MM Stingray, how much should i be paying for......?

richy316

Hey i've received an anonomous tip off about a 15 year old MM Stingray for sale in a local shop, so im looking for some wise heads to tell me how much i should expect to pay for this bass. As far as i know its 4 string in natural colour!

And i aint telling you where it is just incase somebody gazumps me!

Guitar Guitar in Newcastle had a Stingray about 6 months ago. The body was refin'd natural, it had a birdseye maple neck (4 bolt) a bullit trussrod adjuster and the older bridge minus the foam mutes. They had it up for £699, it did look like it needed a good clean. So £650 ish sounds like a good starting place.

i used to own the the the stingray in guitar guitar, it was an 88 with a bad refinish and dirt had got deep in the grain. but was a great bass. when i bought it it was filthy with no scratch plate and the holes filled in, even after a good clean and a new sratch plate it still looked filthy but i loved it. I payed £650 at a guitar show for that a couple of years ago. i would actualy quite like it back.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='205506' date='May 24 2008, 12:43 PM']I'd say £650-£750 but really those are ebay prices. I'd expect it to be more like £800+ in a shop. Depends what condition it's in, whether you're willing to pay for the birdseye neck, whether you can haggle etc.[/quote]

+1

Ditto, every word

Well unfortunately the bass was gone when i went in to take a look at it. And when the price was £450 i'm not surprised!!

Whether my friend knew what he was talking about when telling about it i'm not sure as he's not a musician, i mean it could have been a good copy that fooled the CRACK CONVERTERS staff. Anyway its gone now so maybe i missed out on a massive bargain or avoided being ripped off.

probably best all round if you give it no more thought!

if it did have the maple neck, £700 i would have said was about right in the current market slump, but of course the ray market will rise again in the future