Why become a member? ×

Bridges

Olly230770

I only have experience of 3 bridges.
The fender BBOT,
The Gotoh 201
and
The Babicz

My favourite by a million miles is the Babicz, not because it is an engineering masterpiece (IMHO it is though) but because there are no threaded rods to pierce holes in your hand when you are resting your hand on the bridge.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1361558289' post='1987631']

The best option is to go for the Gotoh 201..
[/quote]

I have a Gotoh 201 on my P/J.
i find a few things 'wrong' with it.
The saddles are really fat which means that even when the saddles are as low as they can go my action is still pretty high, despite having shimmed the neck.
As a result of having the saddles as low as they can go the threaded rods the saddles are adjusted with stick out a long way making the bridge have lots of sharp bits that puncture my hand.
it really is uncomfortable to play.

[quote name='Mandark' timestamp='1365143295' post='2035814']
Interesting stuff, i never really gave any thought on the affects a bridge would have on the sound. I can't add anything constructive to the debate, as I'm relatively new to the bass world, but are there any thoughts or advantages to the individual mono bridges as found on some of the Ibanez basses? I guess you can set the spacing to your preference.

C
[/quote]

I don't think that's the idea of them. Not being able to alter the string spacing is a good thing i think.

I found that a precision hotrod I had for a while which I had a BA2 put on it didn't sound any better that the stock fender bridge, if anything in this instance I would say it took away a bit of the bite of the Pbass, my Steve Hariss P had a BA2 and that was great, there are a lot of good parts out there at the moment, the Gotoh is well respected, bottom line does your bass sound good as it is? If yes leave it alone.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1363296929' post='2011341']
As someone having done the same I couldn't disagree more. The bridge on the Squier is fine. Replacing the bridge would be like replacing a Honda steering wheel on a Cadillac steering wheel. You just don't have to.
[/quote]
Of course you don't have to, that comes down to personal choice.

Leo Fenders bridge is basic, but does a decent job. I still do maintain however that fitting a high mass bridge is a mod well worth making in my experience. Lots of opinions on this post state that there is no sonic value to be gained by changing the stock F bridge to high mass design, but I totally disagree. I can clearly hear a discernible improvement in clarity and overtones...however I do have an exceptionally good "ear".

I personally believe that both the Badass and Gotoh 201 are excellent replacements for the stock F bridge...each having their own distinct characteristics. I would argue that the Gotoh is better as it retails for a third of the price of the Leo Quan and sounds almost as good (with a slightly diminished high end).

Edited by White Cloud

I switched to a Badass II to replace the bridge on my Jap Jazz bass because the saddles would move around all over the bass-plate. I play quite hard sometimes and the G saddle especially use to fly all over the place.

My Pbass had the problem of saddle screws unwinding and saddles then dropping. I put a Gotoh on that.

This was done a few years back and I would never pay the prices charged for a Badass these days.