Why become a member? ×

Peavey Cirrus 5 stringer

dmccombe7

Finally got the new bass yesterday. Little bit of set up on the neck and she was almost perfect.
Very light in comparison to my Jazz but great playability. Good overall basic tone and the actives boost / cut as you need it. Running it flat at the moment.
Have to say that for the money this bass would be hard to beat. Build quality is 2nd to none. Controls are solid and feel well made with rubber rings on each knob. Neck feels great altho a little narrower spacing on strings at 16mm compared to my other basses at 18mm but thats easy to get used to.
Tiger-eye finish is gorgeous too.

All in all i would recommend this to anyone looking for a well made quality feel bass for under £500. Easily found the 5er at near the £420 mark. Some good deals out there.

Tone wise when flat is quite neutral if that makes sense. Not overly trebley or bassy. Fitted with D'Addario strings which feel pretty similar to my Fender strings.

Looking forward to rehearsals and gigging with it.

Dave

Congratulations Dave, a happy low-ender!
How does the 'B' string compare to the other 4 in terms of volume and tone?

I've got my eyes out for a budget 5er and this sounds interesting. I've never played a Peavey instrument but know from experience that their amps and combos are very durable and great value-for-money.

There's one for sale on this very forum at 300 quid. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/199170-fsft-as-new-peavey-5-string-cirrus-bxp-as-new-still-boxed-l300-inc-del/page__p__1977395__hl__peavey__fromsearch__1#entry1977395

Bargain if you ask me. Personally I couldn't adapt to a 16mm spacing, but lots of people can.

[i]I had one for a while, loved the look and the feel of it, just couldn't get on with the 16mm string spacing, for some reason those missing 2 0r 3 mm really made a difference. Happily for me Basschat saved the day and I found a buyer and a seller so I still have a 5iver, and its one that suits me to the ground :)[/i]

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1361119686' post='1981321']
Congratulations Dave, a happy low-ender!
How does the 'B' string compare to the other 4 in terms of volume and tone?

I've got my eyes out for a budget 5er and this sounds interesting. I've never played a Peavey instrument but know from experience that their amps and combos are very durable and great value-for-money.
[/quote]

Overall the volume and tone seems to be pretty even while using at home. I sometimes find basses change a bit at volume. I think the biggest surprise was the playability and quality of build. Tried the Grind passive version but the edge of the neck had a sharp feel to it whereas the Cirrus is more rounded and you don't feel the end of the frets if that makes sense. I got rid of a 6 stringer because of the 16mm spacing and i kept missing the strings. After playing my Overwater 6 stringer for a few yrs now i've found that the spacing on this doesn't seem to bother me at all. I'm not missing strings on this one. I'm putting this down to fact i've been playing the 6 string more and its just not such a big deal anymore.
Lot of BC'ers stated that i should stick to the 6 stringer when i bought it to get used to the additional string and i reckon that advice has paid of.
The other noticeable thing is the weight. Its very light compared with any of my other basses.

Seriously give the Cirrus a check out if you are looking for a great 5er for circa £420. Some god deals out there on new ones.

Its a few weeks till i play it at rehearsals but i'll keep you posted on outcome.
My normal pick-up and go bass is my jazz but i'm really enjoying this bass a lot.

Hope this helps a bit.
Go on give one a try - you know you want to - you won't be disappointed IMHO.

Dave