Why become a member? ×

New range of Zoot cabs

Bass Culture

I was down visiting family in Colchester and popped over to The Bass Merchant last week. As anyone will know who's been there, Mike's workshop, where he makes his Zoot basses, is on the ground floor, at the bottom of the stairs up to the shop. Mike was beavering away in the workshop and recognised so I popped to to say hello and was promptly confronted with not only the usual multitude of basses in various states of manufacture but a whole bank of Mike's new bass cab ranges too! He had a few cabs loaded up and about another two dozen that were waiting for their drivers, waiting to go to the London trade fair in June to be launched.

I have to say the whole range look mighty impressive. They are all loaded with new Celestion neodynium drivers and are light as hell. The usual carpet finish but, hey - if it ain't broke, what's to fix? The range includes pretty much everything as far as I could make out - from 2x15's (an easy single person lift!) down to single 12's and (I think) 10's. I have to say I'm pretty excited about a new range of all British cabinets from a manufacturer like Zoot. I think he's still finalizing pricing so I hope they're pitched at a slightly less pocket-emptying point than the Trace cabs but, either way, hat's off to Mike for being brave enough in the present climate to launch an entirely new product range. I'm just gagging to actually try one now as there wasn't an amp handy for me to plug in. From what Mike was saying about the research he's done on them though I'd be very surprised if they sounded anything other than the absolute dog's.

Mark

Plus one for all the above, I actually tried one today infact Mike finished it off so I could try a 1x15" with my MB head, they are scarily light but packed a mean punch and all the goodies, crossovers, tweeters etc wer top notch kit, certainly worth a look.

[quote name='Raggy' post='204340' date='May 22 2008, 03:02 PM']Mike will make pretty much anything you want from what he told me.[/quote]

Anything at all?
I'd love a 4 ohm 3 way cab, with a 12 inch woofer, 8 or 6 inch mid cone and a tweeter all in a compact, hopefully one hand lift.
Maybe in some nice camo or dark green tolex too, hmm...

Does anyone have Mike's email address?

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='204350' date='May 22 2008, 03:18 PM']I'd love a 4 ohm 3 way cab, with a 12 inch woofer, 8 or 6 inch mid cone and a tweeter all in a compact, hopefully one hand lift.[/quote]
You mean just like a Dr Bass 1260? [url="http://www.drbasscabs.com/"]http://www.drbasscabs.com/[/url]

Thanks for the link to the earlier posting - and apologies for the duplication. I hadn't seen the first thread. It seems from what's been posted that Mike started with non-Neo prototypes or custom orders. I'd love to hear how the recent Neo-loaded cabs compare sound-wise with the earlier non-Neo versions. Don't know if anyone's been in a position to A/B them?

I'm presently using two Aguilar GS112s with my Markbass SA450 and I'm really happy (in a vaguely frustrating, ongoing 'lack of gas' kind of way) with the sound, but I'm thinking of swapping for the Zoot cabs simply in the spirit of supporting the venture. Can anyone give me an idea of how they might compare sound-wise with the Aggie's?

Cheers,

Mark

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='204499' date='May 22 2008, 07:12 PM']You mean just like a Dr Bass 1260? [url="http://www.drbasscabs.com/"]http://www.drbasscabs.com/[/url][/quote]

Wow, yup, just like that, at least in principle.
Although, I had envisaged something a bit more upright, as I'd be using it as a standalone cab, kinda like the Hartke 2200, but much much more compact...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='204909' date='May 23 2008, 12:40 PM']Accugrove Tri-112?[/quote]

Now you're really not helping my GAS at all bud!
That things lighter than my Aguilar GS112 too, but not on the wallet...

Cheers,
Eude