Why become a member? ×

Ring rusty

stewblack

One of the reasons I've not been around here for a while is that yet another band break up knocked the stuffing out of me. I'm too old for all the crap and politics that go on and I guess I put the bass down and all the stuff I associated with the bass (ie GAS, this place, listening and practicing) took a back seat to my other interests.
But you know what ? I've been like an addict who didn't know which itch needed scratching lately. So last night I grabbed my Peavy 5 down off the wall and almost totally at random spent an hour learning Everybody Dance by Chic using Best Practice to slow the darn thing down.
I was bloody slow, desperately out of practice I guess, and I struggled. But afterwards boy did I feel like I was back where I belong.
I shall be putting together a cd of some motown, disco and funk covers tonight and passing it around a few people. See who's interested and maybe I'll climb back in the ring. But this time I'll pick the songs!! Jamerson, Edwards ... mmmmm

Well done Stew. Great post. If I played Everybody Dance it would be so slow as to be unrecognisible! Jamerson and Edwards come at the very top of my list of favourite players as well. You certainly sound as if you are back where you belong. Anyway, sometimes a break does a bit of good. It enables us to return with renewed enthusiasm. All the best!

a band splitting up is like a relationship ending...you never want anything to do with that kind of stuff again...

but time heals - i'm glad you're back at it now though.

and btw - what's 'best practice' ? some kind of pitch-shifting thingumy ?

[quote name='ahpook' post='203947' date='May 21 2008, 10:46 PM']btw - what's 'best practice' ?[/quote]

like the 'amazing slow downer'...free downloadable software, so you can listen/slow down tracks, for learning/transcribing etc......good stuff.

WOW! that is an excellent program. I've been using the granulizer in Fruity loops to slow down music enough to practice along to. TBH fruity loops is much better quality but a) it's not free, and b ) it's not as easy to use.

This is the link to [url="http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=180308&package_id=208475&release_id=564506"]Best Practice[/url] if anyone wants it. (it's only 634k, click the "bpsetup_1_03.exe" to start the download, the big orange "Download" button is just advertising sh*te)