Why become a member? ×

Waxing ya Warwick Neck

KennysFord

Hey Folks and Warwick experts especially.
I've noticed on the last couple of gigs that the back of the neck on my Thumb is getting a bit sticky feeling. I can also feel small bobbles as well and have to wipe the neck after every couple of songs or so.
I've had it a few months now and not waxed it yet, however I'm a tad worried about doing the back of the neck as I like a Satin feel rather than Gloss as I find gloss to be very erm "Non Slidy"

Your help would be very much appreciated.
Cheers.
B)

Cheers WH, I was hoping you'd be along Bud.
The bobbly stuff is I think a mixture of grime and sweat. They feel very tiny but it's annoying none the less.
Lemon Oil it is then and we'll see how we go.
Good Man.
B)

Warwick's guidance on their open grained necks was that they don't need to be waxed. The rest of the bass does. The neck will be naturally treated with oils from your hand whilst you play; those oils won't end up on parts of the bass you never touch, hence the need to wax. If you start waxing the neck, you'll quickly build up a layer of wax that will probably feel even worse to the hand.

I'm not exactly sure what to do about your neck feeling 'bobbly' and sticky at the moment though. Some lemon oil may help, but I can't see how that will cut through the grime or whatever it is that's spoiling it for you at the moment?

I've always used wax on the neck of my Warwick thumb bolt-on to keep it in good health, although I didn't realise Warwick themselves actually say you don't need to. The neck feels great, very smooth satin feel to it. My bass is a 98' wenge neck thumb bolt on, which is the same material as the neck on the NT model I think? I tend to give it a couple of coats of wax when I clean it, with one cloth the apply a layer of wax, leave it for 5 to 10 mins and then remove any residue with a clean cloth, then do it again.

Cheers Guys,
I gave it a good wipe with a small amount of Lemon Oil and it now feels nice and clean.
I remember having some Ernie Ball wonder wipes when I had my Sterling, they seemed to work well on the Satin Neck.
Anyway, I'm gigging tonight so we'll see how we go after getting a bit sweaty, I'll report back chaps.
Thanks.
B)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1359885376' post='1961458']
I've always just cleaned the neck with warm water like I would any other bass.
[/quote]
Please DON'T use water on any open grained wood unless you simply use a damp cloth. In any case, water will lift the grain.

The best way to get rid of any roughness is to use either fine wire-wool or very fine sandpaper. You can clean off the grime with a 50/50 mix of white vinigar and "boilled linseed oil", wiped over with a soft cloth. Then re-oil the wood with some boiled linseed oil. When this is buffed up with a soft cloth, this will be matt in finish and smooth and [i][b]fast [/b][/i]as you like.

I'm sure lemon oil used instead of the BLO will be the same - or better. ;)

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1359872231' post='1961385']
Warwick's guidance on their open grained necks was that they don't need to be waxed. The rest of the bass does. The neck will be naturally treated with oils from your hand whilst you play; those oils won't end up on parts of the bass you never touch, hence the need to wax...
[/quote]

But.....
You don't need to wax the stained (Maple-bodied) ones, because the coloured finish "seals" the body.
Consequently, I wax my natural Zebrano Infinity SN4, but not my Burgundy Fortress MM5 or Honey Violin Streamer LX6.
Those with Wenge/Ovangkol necks need not worry about anything. All of mine are over 11 years old and have never had any attention apart from the odd wipe with a soft, dry cloth.
Maple necks are likely to be sealed with some sort of finish, even if it's satin. these'll probably only need a wipe down, too, though..

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1359919516' post='1962073']
But.....
You don't need to wax the stained (Maple-bodied) ones, because the coloured finish "seals" the body.
[/quote]

Well yes, the coloured finished Warwick basses I would treat like any other. No open grain to worry about there.