Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender P bridge question(s)

omikin

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1359721870' post='1959311']
how many screws does your current bridge have to attach it to the bass?
[/quote]

Ups... this question may come a bit too late! But from looking at the pics of the current bridge and the one the OP ordered i believ it will be a direct replacement.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359717612' post='1959180']
cos it's a P bass- the general opinion is that high mass on jazz yes, on Precision no as it softens the perceived attack (thump)
[/quote]

I have a Gotoh 201 on my P and it sounds great. Hasn't tightened up the attack too much and it's nice and stable (bomb proof infact). That said I wouldn't ever put anything like a Schaller 2000 series or a Badass II on a p.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I'm new to the forum as I've just just got my first Precision (American Standard five string), after wanting to move to a five string and after playing a Gibson SG bass as my "weapon of choice" for many years.
Hope you don't mind me chiming in, but I've found a issue related to this thread and I hope you Precision exerts can help!
The bass has the high mass bridge, with the through body or top loading stringing options, and here lies the problem.
To set intonation correctly, the bridge saddles for the 4th & 5th strings are by default, very close to the anchor points.
If I "top load" the 4th (.110) & 5th (.130) the large end mass of string winding lies on the bridge saddles, not good and also making intonation nigh on impossible. If I string "through body", then the string break angle is close to 90%, again not good!
As I see it, the ONLY solution is to go with taper wound strings - through the body, so that just the core of the string would lie on the bridge saddle and would cope with the acute break angle.
Any advice or recommendations based on your experiences of this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by onemanband