Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Fender '70s Precision Bass (Olympic White)

tricky

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Newish [/font][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fender '70s Precision Bass (Olympic White)[/font][/color][/size]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Took this in a trade and to be honest, it's not me.. and I have GAS so this has to go...[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I'm not sure what they go for used, not seen one yet. This is absolutely near mint though. I haven't found any marks on it at all..[/font][/color]

Not sure where to price it tbh.. they are £857 new from GAK.. The Lad I got t from paid £895!

I think that [s]£650[/s] £575 might be fair. It's in as new condition and I'm just sticking new strings on it.

Collection from Stockport or delivery at cost etc..

More pics to follow

Edited by tricky

Sorry Tricky, as per my pm yesterday evening.
Is it Mexican or Japanese please?
Is it still for sale?
If it is Japanese and comes with the hardcase, as per my pm, I would like to buy it please. I will happily cash/collect from Stockport.
Cheers,
Karl.

It's Mexican. I thought they all were?

Come to my studio and try it out.. it is nothing like other Mexican fenders I have played with.

Just been setup by my business partner too (tech for Johnny Marr, Buzzcocks etc) plays great

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1359667297' post='1958619']
Bugger, when did they switch production to Mexico in these? They were Japan :(
PM'd at 9.17, er, pm :P
[/quote]

The mex and Japan ones are different model lines. The mex are relatively recent and can be distinguished from the jap ones by the block inlays (which technically is wrong for a 70s precision, but they look great!)

For what it's worth, having played both, the neck on the mex one is as good as any precision neck I've played, so I wouldn't worry about the "made in" tag.

Edited by simon1964

I thought the design on the Japanese ones and the Mexican ones was the same (i.e. the OW and the TSB both had maple necks + blocks) - they just swapped where they were produced from at some point last year. That being said, when I tried a few, the Japanese ones felt different from the Mexican ones... not better, just different - but that could have just been down to variance in the set up.

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1359708111' post='1958986']
I thought the design on the Japanese ones and the Mexican ones was the same (i.e. the OW and the TSB both had maple necks + blocks) - they just swapped where they were produced from at some point last year. That being said, when I tried a few, the Japanese ones felt different from the Mexican ones... not better, just different - but that could have just been down to variance in the set up.
[/quote]

The Jap ones didn't have block inlays (at least none of the ones I've ever seen / owned did), and were available with rosewood boards. These new Mexican ones are maple only and have blocks (which in my opinion makes them better looking!). I think the latest generations of the more expensive Mexican basses (i.e. these and the Roadworn series) are showing that the Mexican factory can turn out some real quality instruments.

Mmm, Olympic white with block inlays - yum!

Edited by tredders

Might be talking at cross purposes here... for sure there are OW + RW 70s (PB70) Fender Japan p-basses which they've been making since the mid 90s. One of mine's got the body of one. but then a couple of years or so back Fender US issued a 70s p-bass (Classic Series) which came in TSB / OW + Maple + Blocks. Think the original run was Japanese and then it looks like they switched to Mexico.

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/151422-new-from-dv247-fender-mij-70s-precision/page__hl__70s+white+precision__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Good old Fender.. too many models [/size]

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1359710819' post='1959028']
Might be talking at cross purposes here... for sure there are OW + RW 70s (PB70) Fender Japan p-basses which they've been making since the mid 90s. One of mine's got the body of one. but then a couple of years or so back Fender US issued a 70s p-bass (Classic Series) which came in TSB / OW + Maple + Blocks. Think the original run was Japanese and then it looks like they switched to Mexico.

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/151422-new-from-dv247-fender-mij-70s-precision/page__hl__70s+white+precision__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Good old Fender.. too many models [/size]
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on. Hopefully in the following link is one that was sold earlier. Confirmation the original run late2011/early2012 were Crafted in Japan. It's about post 3 or 4.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183928-fender-70s-re-issue-precision-bass-reduced/page__view__findpost__p__1847853__hl__fender+precision+70%26%2339%3Bs+re+issue__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183928-fender-70s-re-issue-precision-bass-reduced/page__view__findpost__p__1847853__hl__fender+precision+70%26%2339%3Bs+re+issue__fromsearch__1[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fender’s new Classic series ’70s Precision Bass authentically evokes the era when our first bass rocked with more versatile use than ever, from prog to punk and metal to funk. Vintage touches include bass-side thumb rest (first adopted in 1974), ’70s-style large headstock logo and bound neck with block inlays.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Features also include an alder body, C-shaped maple neck, maple fretboard with 9.5” radius and 20 vintage-style frets, classic split single-coil pickup, three-ply black-white-black pickguard, knurled control knobs (volume, tone), vintage-style four-saddle bridge and ’70s-style “Fender”-stamped open-gear tuners.[/font][/color]

[b]Fender '70s Precision Bass Specifications[/b]

[b]General[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Model Name: '70s Precision Bass[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Series: Classic[/font][/color]

[b]Body[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Body: Alder[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Body Shape: Precision Bass®[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gloss Urethane[/font][/color]

[b]Neck[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck Shape: "C" Shape[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Number of Frets: 20[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fret Size: Vintage-style[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Position Inlays: Black Block Position Inlays[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fretboard Radius: 9.5" (24.1 cm)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fretboard: Maple[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck Material: Maple[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck Finish: Gloss Urethane[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nut Width: 1.625" (41.3 mm)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scale Length: 34" (86.36 cm)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck Plate: 4 Bolt "F" Neck Plate[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck Binding: Black Fretboard Binding[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Truss Rods: Vintage Style Truss Rod System[/font][/color]

[b]Electronics[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Middle Pickup: Split Single-Coil Precision Bass pickup (Middle)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Controls: Volume, Tone[/font][/color]

[b]Hardware[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hardware: Chrome[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bridge: Vintage Style 4-Saddle Bridge[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]String Nut: Synthetic Bone[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tuning Machines: Vintage '70s Fender® Stamped Open Gear Tuning Machines[/font][/color]

[b]Miscellaneous[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Strings: NPS, Gauges .045-.105[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Unique Features: Bound Neck with Block Inlays, Thumb Rest, '70s Style Fender Logo[/font][/color]

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]R.R.P.: £1,126.80[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Our Price: [/font][/color][s]£857.00[/s][/b]

[size=5][b]like new - with hard shell case.. reduced to £575[/b][/size]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...