Why become a member? ×

How does this sound for a set up?

torby

wanting to keep costs to a minimum as I already have the cab and hopefully will pick up a Hartke HA3500

Cab: Marshall JCMA 4x10 loaded with 4 celestion gold back 30 watt spkrs (120 watt) and rated at 16 ohm (Worked great for my guitar)

Amp: Hartke HA3500 350W into 4 Ohms, 250W into 8 Ohms

failing that I may have to go for a new

Amp: Hartke HA2500 250 Watts into 4 Ohms, 180 Watts into 8 Ohms

Will it be ok to run into that cabinet? Using my old guitar player logic, I think it should be fine and produce substantially less watts...maybe 100 watts.

I appreciate there is quite a difference in bass frequencies...but to be honest I'm cost cutting.

Thanks

Don't do it. You are extremely likely to blow the drivers in the cab. Firstly, they are not designed for the low end of a bass and secondly, they are so low wattage, that you are extremely likely to overload and blow them up. Sorry, not what you want to hear but that's the truth.
Got to remember that bass-type frequencies take a LOT more power to get the same perceived volume from them than guitar-type frequencies.

you should think about adding an extra 0 to the wattage ratings of those speakers. as has already been said, bass frequencies require a great deal more power to produce than guitar frequencies, so while 30W speakers may work great for your guitar, if you use them with a bass you will get very poor response, and are very likely to blow the drivers.

also, if the cab is wired for 16 ohms, you will get very little power from your bass head, and probably won't be loud enough for gigs and possibly rehearsals. I would suggest either wiring it for 4 ohms, or using 8 ohm speakers so you can add another cab later if you need/want it.

Yeah those are guitar speakers, too low a power, too high a resonance, too low an excurtion, and the cab is too small for bass. You'll fry them in an instant with either amp. Go for the 3500, flog the guitar cab and get a proper 4x10. As has been said there's loads of great second hand gear at the mo. Recently saw a Peavey 410tx for £80...thats less than the cost of a peavey replacement driver.