Why become a member? ×

Steinberger L2 - withdrawn for now.

Stacker

1983 model in vgc considering year. No structural, mechanical or electronic issues. Unfortunately, plug-in leg-rest, original strap and authentic Steinberger gig-bag missing. Frets look untouched. Selling only as an unlined XL has suddenly become available.

Link [url="http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c370/kakkadoo/L2_zps4298d967.jpg"]here[/url].

Well, the XL2-UF that popped up has been sold therefore this L2 stays.

@markorbit. Funny you should mention Steiny neck conditions. I have seen an L2 with a bit of up-bow in it and when asking questions about this one I bought, some other dude chimed in and said that theidea of L2s exhibiting neck issues was a myth perpertrated by some website her refused to name! Odd one, that.

Hi - I have an XL2-T (the trem version) that arrived without a strap pivot. I've tried to track one down without success, I know they're very hard to find, but just wondered if a fellow Steinberger fan might know where I could get one, or even a repro? I've looked in all the obvious places I can think of.

Many thanks!

Dave

@Stacker - Have no doubt that after 30 years even Steinbergers can have neck issues. It's no myth but obviously it is a minority. My current L2 had a bit of a ski-jump which we were able to plek out. My previous XL2a also wasn't as straight as they used to be when factory fresh in the 80s. I had a beautiful L2 in 1989 and I often wonder how that neck is today. I used to get amazingly low action with it.

[quote name='Wiggybass' timestamp='1360245638' post='1967277']
Hi - I have an XL2-T (the trem version) that arrived without a strap pivot. I've tried to track one down without success, I know they're very hard to find, but just wondered if a fellow Steinberger fan might know where I could get one, or even a repro? I've looked in all the obvious places I can think of.

Many thanks!

Dave
[/quote]

Dave, that was unfortunate. The plates are almost impossible to find these days. You could probably buy one from Ed Roman Guitars in the States but you will pay handsomely for the privilege and there is no guarantee as to what condition the parts may be in when you receive them. (Roman Guitars have a pretty bad rep in the Steinberger community and their website section on Steinberger is full of what could most charitably be called inaccurate information. Probably misinformation would better describe it!) You might also try headlessusa.com - these guys have a good reputation and maybe Peekamoose, a New York repair shop which has extensive Steinberger knowledge.

I'm short of a couple of plates myself (I use left handed plates on my right handed instruments) and I've been thinking that 3D printing technology may well be at a stage where it could be cost effective for production of parts like pivot plates. If I get around to doing anything about it, I'll post on here.

One other thought - NS Design have done a small run of the Boomerang Strap pivot as used on the NS ERBs and Cellos, with a mounting screw thread suitable for L and XL basses. Contact Andy Yacubik at the Steinbergerworld.com website to see if there are any of these available. I have a Boomerang on my XL5W and it works fine so at least that would get you up and running and able to play the bass on a strap!

Cheers

Ed

From time to time Newburgh bits n pieces pop up on USA ebay but Ive never seen a pivot. I need a plug-in rest for this L2 but Roman is looking for $300 for one and Im not even sure of its authenticity. I wonder where the hell these things go to??

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1360343559' post='1969073']
From time to time Newburgh bits n pieces pop up on USA ebay but Ive never seen a pivot. I need a plug-in rest for this L2 but Roman is looking for $300 for one and Im not even sure of its authenticity. I wonder where the hell these things go to??
[/quote]

They go into a drawer and get forgotten about. When the bass is sold on, the owner can't find the bit but the sale goes through anyway and there's another orphaned leg rest!

Again, have a word with Andy Yakubic at steinbergerworld.com. Andy had some parts made up a while back and can put together replacement leg rests for some L2s. I think there were at least two, maybe three variations on the L2 leg rest so you need to make sure exactly which one would fit your bass.

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1360367831' post='1969627']
They go into a drawer and get forgotten about. When the bass is sold on, the owner can't find the bit but the sale goes through anyway and there's another orphaned leg rest!

Again, have a word with Andy Yakubic at steinbergerworld.com. Andy had some parts made up a while back and can put together replacement leg rests for some L2s. I think there were at least two, maybe three variations on the L2 leg rest so you need to make sure exactly which one would fit your bass.

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]
Yeh, I'm on the forum over there. Andy has a wealth of knowledge. Sure I have posted re the rest but had no response. Perhaps I'll PM him.
Three different versions of the L2 rest? That's interesting! So, how does one find out what type one needs?

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1360397707' post='1969718']
Yeh, I'm on the forum over there. Andy has a wealth of knowledge. Sure I have posted re the rest but had no response. Perhaps I'll PM him.
Three different versions of the L2 rest? That's interesting! So, how does one find out what type one needs?
[/quote]

This thread on the yahoo! group should give a couple of pointers.
[url="http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/steinberger_world/message/45681"]http://launch.groups...d/message/45681[/url]

Ed