Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Lowdown HD400/750 Bass Amp Head

loushort

Has anyone owned or own one of these amps and if so are they any good
or just a gimmic?
I'm drawn to the Synth and Chorus sounds for my 80's band and don't want to use pedals
and I've got no patience for a multi effects board.
The only Line 6 stuff I use the G90 wireless and thats great
but apart from that I'm looking for a back up amp
with some bells and whistles
any help would be welcome
cheers
Lou

Edited by loushort

The problem with these two amps is that they try to be everything to everyone and don't quite manage to do anything quite right.

The amp modelling is vaguely reminiscent of what they are trying to achieve, but, for me at least, once I've found 'my sound' then I'm really not wanting to change it.*

The built in effects are pretty much on a par with most built in effects, that's to say pretty OTT and with a modulation setting that someone else has decided it needs.

The power output figures, as often cited on BassChat, are pretty much meaningless (however I can categorically state that the HD750 was significantly quieter than the old HA3000 head I use as a generic 'no frills' backup head).

The overall build quality was reasonable but felt a little cheap in places.

Having owned one (albeit for less than 48 hours) I have to say it would take a lot of persuasion to get me to use one again.

* [size=3]Reminds me of a guitarist I once knew who was trying to decide between a Line6 or a Marshall.[/size]
[size=3] He tried them out and duly arrived at the next rehearsal with a Line6.[/size]
[size=3] He went through all the different amp\cab models and suddenly hit the one that sounded 'right'.[/size]
[size=3] It was the Marshall setting... [/size] :lol:

I've had both the Line6 110 and the Line6 300, I loved both and with a bit of tweaking got some sounds I really loved (I only got rid of them because of moving up to the TC RH450).

I loved the chorus and the distortion on them. The synth wasn't actually too bad once you figured out how to alter the sound. I managed a pretty passable "deeper underground" out of it.

The 300 was bloody heavy though :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1359474403' post='1955297']
I've had both the Line6 110 and the Line6 300, I loved both and with a bit of tweaking got some sounds I really loved (I only got rid of them because of moving up to the TC RH450).

I loved the chorus and the distortion on them. The synth wasn't actually too bad once you figured out how to alter the sound. I managed a pretty passable "deeper underground" out of it.

The 300 was bloody heavy though :lol:
[/quote]yes I only want it for the Synth and the Chorus not really bothered about the amp bit

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1359473540' post='1955278']
The problem with these two amps is that they try to be everything to everyone and don't quite manage to do anything quite right.

The amp modelling is vaguely reminiscent of what they are trying to achieve, but, for me at least, once I've found 'my sound' then I'm really not wanting to change it.*

The built in effects are pretty much on a par with most built in effects, that's to say pretty OTT and with a modulation setting that someone else has decided it needs.

The power output figures, as often cited on BassChat, are pretty much meaningless (however I can categorically state that the HD750 was significantly quieter than the old HA3000 head I use as a generic 'no frills' backup head).

The overall build quality was reasonable but felt a little cheap in places.

Having owned one (albeit for less than 48 hours) I have to say it would take a lot of persuasion to get me to use one again.

* [size=3]Reminds me of a guitarist I once knew who was trying to decide between a Line6 or a Marshall.[/size]
[size=3] He tried them out and duly arrived at the next rehearsal with a Line6.[/size]
[size=3] He went through all the different amp\cab models and suddenly hit the one that sounded 'right'.[/size]
[size=3] It was the Marshall setting... [/size] :lol:
[/quote]good pointers thank you