Why become a member? ×

LTD Vintage-204 anyone?

such

I'm wondering if there are any Basschatters having any valuable experience with, or owning these basses? They seem rather nice for about the Squier CV price bracket, a PJ config that I like, 21 frets, choice of rosewood and maple fretboards etc. How's the build/assembly quality? Finish is disputable of course...
Apparently, there's also an unlined fretless coming this year, and THAT is seriously interesting at this price. As long as they actually are good instruments, which is what I'm asking about. Anyone?

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1359315916' post='1953014']
Merello has/had one. Gve hm a shout.
[/quote]
Somebody call me?

I have the black body, white scratch plate and maple fingerboard one above. Got it about 6 months ago.

I really like it. About £330 new I got mines for about £140-170 second hand. Prefer it to the Squier P-bass special I had and you never worry about a scratch or bump. Slight neck heaviness but this is easily compensated for by a cotton shirt and flecky strap - that's how slight it is. The few gigs I have done with it have been in a 300 seater school hall with a Hartke 100W combo thru a PA. Cuts right through and I found myself migrating to the p-pickup.
Thin, modern neck that I didn't enjoy at first when playing at home but live it has been a revelation. No finger fatigue! Now totally used to this profile. It has got a good jedi attack - by this I mean that i feel confident that my hand is going to fret where I want it to! If you don't understand this point, fine, neither do I!

Obviously I'd love a better bass - probably a Lakland 51 type but I don't gig enough to justify it. Meanwhile, I am more than happy and haven't had any itchy gas like instincts for a while.

If you get one 2nd hand, you won't be sorry. If you are pro/semi pro it probably is not for you although I'd happily use it as a second bass.

Edited by merello

I'd give these a thumbs-up too. I owned the black/maple version - spotted it for £120 on ebay and gave it a try. Solid construction and all the hardware did what it was supposed to. The relic job on it was a matte finish and didn't look just look like someone took a sander to it (ie. didn't look too 'forced' as some relic jobs do).Whatever they did to the back of the neck, it was comfortable in the hand - a worn satin feel. I liked the headstock shape too - quite sleek.

Soundwise, I had no complaints or thoughts of tinkering with it as it sounded good stock - the pickups had enough output and both sounded as you'd expect when soloed. Sadly, it was a toss-up between keeping it and the Peavey Zodiac I had at the time, which I'd popped DiMarzios in, so I let the ESP go instead.

I don't think you'll regret buying one - I'd compare its quality to the Squier Vintage Modified series Amber P-bass I had, only you don't have to worry about it being knocked about.

GAS attack. I only wanted the fretless (only knew about it), now I want all of them.

The Elite and the signature one will be expensive though (I guess). The LTD Frank Bello is something like 800 quid, and it's also based on the same PJ format.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-j-204a-natural/78826

[b] ESP LTD J-204A 4 String (Natural)[/b]
[color=#000000]
The new J-204 four string in a beautiful natural gloss finish with Tortoiseshell scratchplate! With its rosewood fretboard and satin finished, thin U, maple neck you get fantastic playability and warm, solid tone from the twin J pickups.[/color]
[color=#000000]
£290[/color]

that looks cool. Luckily, it seems that there won't be any significant price increase for the 214 comparing to 204. I wonder about the Stinson signature though... the LTD Frank Bello is rather expensive, but Stinson has both the LTD and the ESP versions, so I hope the ESP is pricey and the LTD just slightly more than the Vintage-214... Not a fan of current G'n'R, but that bass looks lovely in that distressed creamy white with painted headstock and tortoise pickguard.