Why become a member? ×

HOHNER Jack Bass

nottswarwick

So, you will know form my sig that I have one of these, and now it is actually working, it sounds immense.

I mean, really really nice. Great for slap, and in fact for everything.

Still needs work, set up , bla bla, but I'm gonna gig it this weekend and see how it fares.

Lovely, especially since I was given it as someone was throwing it out lol

Indeed they do sound immense. I don't have the Jack, but I have the B2A and B-Bass, which are essentially all the same thing +/- various lumps of wood. Great basses, huge sound. My B2A goes to every gig as a back up as I can fit it behind the sun visor in my car.

Great.

To bring it back to full glory it needs....

Bloody good clean
New stings although the ones are are quite zingy (what strings fit)
Set up incl some fret work I think
New battery compartment cover - might be hard to come by and the battery does to fall out so might not actually bother
New foam under the bridge pickup so that is can be raised a bit more.

I though about new pickups, but to be fair the ones it is proper roar, so might not bother.

But that is about is, might put some straplocks on it I guess, if I end up gigging it lot, which I might well do.

Edited by nottswarwick

Well, so I gigged it on Friday.

As I say, it is a bit ropey in terms of set up. But it works, and sounded great.

Also really comfy to play.

I broke a string half way through set one though (they must be very very old) doing some daft bending, as you do, so it was over to the MTD for the rest of the gig.

I comparison the MTD is bigger and warmer and darker sounding, and sits in a mix better. However, the Hohner is bright and zingy and fun, and sounded great both clean and with a bit of grit.

Ordered some double ball end Elites, and will get it cleaned and set up over the next few days. Need a new jack socket, as the old one is as loose as .....

Please, cost me nowt other than £30 to my tech to mend the preamp. New socket and full set up and fret dress will be £60 and then it will be one of my faves.

This was my one & only bass for years. I loved that bass with all my heart. I still get twinges when i see one.
Awesome sound, really heavy tone (Perfect for metal) easy to play, well balanced......it was perfect for me in every way.

I remember after I left my last band & fell into real financial difficulty & walked into Northern guitars in Leeds & sold it.....I cried all the way home on the bus. I know that sounds so sad but I was devastated. One day I will buy another just for a fun work horse