Why become a member? ×

Possible stupid question alert!

Evil Undead

I just got a new pickguard for my Squier P, and noticed that the output jack is now 1mm or so closer to the bridge, and the jack inside now rests against the wood at the lower tip of the cavity. It makes the pickguard bulge out maybe 1/2mm from the body just by the jack. Barely noticeable.

Is this going to make the jack not work? It seems to be ok at the moment but was wondering if there will be any problems down the line.

It sounds like the pickguard is not quite a perfect fit . It's impossible to say if the jack is under too much strain without seeing it , but it should be ok . Take a look at it and try and see if it is under pressure or more susceptible to being tugged than before .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358887210' post='1946688']
It sounds like the pickguard is not quite a perfect fit . It's impossible to say if the jack is under too much strain without seeing it , but it should be ok . Take a look at it and try and see if it is under pressure or more susceptible to being tugged than before .
[/quote]

Nah the fit isn't quite perfect, but only in that one tiny place.

The jack is rested pretty snugly against the wood, but I can't tell if it's under strain or pressure.

Does the jack still have the second nut screwed on under the scratch plate? If so, just take it off. If not, open the hole in scratch plate up a bit so that the collar of the socket just sits in the enlarged hole. You could countersink the inside of the mounting hole as well.

Is this the Axesrus PG Mel?

Maybe they changed the design as mine (ive had 2) were ok. I did have to rotate the lugs on the input jack to get them away from the cavity wall but it wasn't as tight as yours by the sounds of it.
Come to think of it the jack socket from my old P-Retro was a lot tighter

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1358887657' post='1946702']
Nah the fit isn't quite perfect, but only in that one tiny place.

The jack is rested pretty snugly against the wood, but I can't tell if it's under strain or pressure.
[/quote]

If the jack goes so deep into the body that you recon it's hitting the back, you can check this by putting a thin sheet/piece of blue-tac on the back of the body cavity and see if, when you put the jack/pick-guard back in place, it pushes through the blue-tac. If it does, then you may need to get a sharp knife blade, or chisel and take a shaving out. OR you could adjust the washers round the jack, spacing it slightly more proud in the pick guard.

It sounds like the problem isn't drastic and any practical/electronics minded person could check and fix it for you. Maybe you know someone in the family or a friend who's handy with a "small" screwdriver and maybe a chisel (Not some ham-fisted nutter) who can take a look for you.
If you live near me I'd be happy to take a look.

If all fails I'm sure your music shop will know someone, but a mate would do it for a coffee.

Hey, just another thought.... you could take it to your local Maplin, and show them the problem and ask what bits you need to fix it. Those guys are practical and would enjoy helping fix the problem. (Maplin management might not agree it's a good use of their time... but needs must!)