Why become a member? ×

'85 G&L SB-1 value?

Graham

It's my 30th in 2015 and I was thinking about trying to get a YOB bass for then and considering my love of precisions and G&L an '85 SB-1 seems an obvious choice.

To see if this is a possibility for 2 years time, or not going to happen I need to find out a ballpark cost of one, however I have no idea what these go for and can't find a huge amount of information online - any ideas? I'm guessing less than a Fender or Musicman from that time, but more than, say, an Ibanez?

I couldn't give you and exact price by any means , but you should be able to pick one up for very reasonable money , providing you can find one . I would concentrate on trying to find used G&L SB1 basses and get an idea if there is any consensus on the price and take it from there . Finding one specifically from 1985 would be a bit of a hard ask unless you make it a long-term project , I would think . The most collectable G&L bass from that era is the El Toro , which has become a bit of a cult classic, and after that the very early G&L basses with the pre-lawsuit headstock shape are also a little more rare and sought after .

I'm not too fussed on collectibility, just a good bass tha's the same age as me. However, just to make it harder, from what I've read I think I want one from the latter half of the year when they introduced the MFD split coil pickup. Fortunately I'm not too bothered about colour, otherwise it might be impossible to find one.

You're probably right though, start saving and see it as a long term project and buy one when it turns up.

The thing is that you certainly don't see that many come up for sale in the U.K as they never sold in great numbers over here . Looking specifically for an 1985 makes it even more rare . I mention collectable ones because they are actually easier to get hold of specifically because people have collections and decide to trade them .

[url="http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/index.php"]http://www.bassesbyl...forum/index.php[/url]

Worth a visit to the above site.

I have a SB1 from 87 and love it. The pups are hugely powerful, it's comfortable to play and sounds growly as hell with DR Highbeam strings on.

The bassesbyleo forum is excellent. If you want an old G&L i wouldn't hang around too long. With the vintage Fender and Musicman prices going through the roof it's going to push the price of old G&Ls up. I have my eye on a nice early 1980s L1000 right now. :)

Edited by BetaFunk