Why become a member? ×

Spiros too short £130 wasted?

stingrayPete1977

Looks like the 3/4 spiros are too short too me, feck and sake springs to mind in a massive way! :(

Silks are way short of the nut or will they tension up that much?
[IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/20130115_190929.jpg[/IMG]

I have already snipped the G and the D a little bit, are they ruined?
[IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/20130115_190945.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Just hold on a minute there. There is a solution.................

Take a look at the fixing at the tail end of the Stagg. Unscrew those big 4 screws and take the block off. Now get an (I think 10mm) drill bit and slowly drill those holes deeper by about 10 - 15mm. Take your time and use either a hand drill or your fingers. The wood is very soft.The strings do stretch. That should give you enough length to get the silk over the nut.

:D

A

EDIT: for more precise intructions

Edited by apa

I dont think the E will get anywhere near, I fitted the G first and the silk eneded up a bit shy But I could of eithe counter sunk the ball end a bit or rolled the silk up a bit, then when I fitted the D I could see the problem was getting worse as I went across, If I had gone for the E first I would of been able to send them back for a set of 4/4 instead :(

I will look again but I dont think it will work......

Hmmm. I managed to do it with about that amount of countersinking. Interestingly my strings are bright red silks not your purple. Or is it the camera?

All depends if you intend swapping and changing them. Its not cheap as you know.

A

I am so sorry to hear this Pete. I had no idea the Stagg would need 4/4 strings. I don't think you have cut so much from the D and G that they will be compromised on a 'normal' sized 3/4 double bass, so as a backstop they should be saleable. Fingers crossed, a bit of jiggerypokery with the bridge can get them to fit.

Regarding the silk colours, Weichs are red at the bridge and purple at peg ends, the all red Spiros are either Mittels or Solos.

Just measured mine by sticking a pencil from the back. The back end of the ball is 23mm from the front of the block. If you take away the diameter of the ball from 23mm you will have the amount of wood left. There is no sign of damage or stress on mine. All is solid.

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1358281531' post='1936361']
Just measured mine by sticking a pencil from the back. The back end of the ball is 23mm from the front of the block. If you take away the diameter of the ball from 23mm you will have the amount of wood left. There is no sign of damage or stress on mine. All is solid.

A
[/quote]

So that is from the side nearest the bridge to the back of a spiro ball? I have just measured a ball at about 10mm so you think you have about 13mm of wood left? Does your have the yellow foam pads in too or have you discarded them? Thanks.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358281821' post='1936368']
So that is from the side nearest the bridge to the back of a spiro ball? I have just measured a ball at about 10mm so you think you have about 13mm of wood left? Does your have the yellow foam pads in too or have you discarded them? Thanks.
[/quote]

Yep. Ok so the 10 - 15mm was a bit optomistic! It was a while ago when I did mine. Probably 13- 15mm of wood left. I did put those little discs on yes. No idea what they are for!

On the silk colour thing - Mine are red both ends and I got the 3885,0 Medium Spiro Core set.

A

A cup of tea for starters ;) I think if you plan on sticking with these strings then its worth the shot and maybe stopping at 20mm and trimming a bit of silk back. I actually tried trimming the silks on mine before realising They still wouldnt fit and went for the countersinking so mine, I assume, arent worth much but then Im not planning on changing them at all. They last for a long time.

Just detuned my E completely and the stretch is 18mm. They have been on for over a year so you could probably add a couple of mm to that.

A

I think the yellow discs are a lame attempt at damping the strings at that end, I have a lump of foam behind my strings and presume everyone else does?
I could take 10 mm from the body and move the tail piece up a bit and then take the rest by countersinking the ball ends to keep more wood left, I have just had a look and the G string will only need a tickle but the others will be level with the screws nearest the bridge.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1358283045' post='1936417']
A cup of tea for starters ;) I think if you plan on sticking with these strings then its worth the shot and maybe stopping at 20mm and trimming a bit of silk back. I actually tried trimming the silks on mine before realising They still wouldnt fit and went for the countersinking so mine, I assume, arent worth much but then Im not planning on changing them at all. They last for a long time.

Just detuned my E completely and the stretch is 18mm. They have been on for over a year so you could probably add a couple of mm to that.

A
[/quote]

I think I will just have to sacrifice the silks then and try taking a bit out at a time, job for tomorrow now anyway. :)

Got them on!

Took a lot of drilling and had to undo some of the silks but they are on and all the main string is over the nut,just :)

and at the bridge

I will put some clear nail varnish over the frayed silks to tidy them up and stop the spread also I might get my woodworking mate to make me a new tail piece that fits up over the body about 20mm made of mahogany or similar, if this one lets go I will have to anyway.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Nicer on the hands thats for sure, had a little play with my new bow and actually got a sort of tune from each string which I am pleased about as some people said bowing a Stagg was hard, not if I can do it!

Practice tomorrow night which will be more telling especially the lighter tension which should be better, the first few tones from the nut are much easier to press and for some reason (maybe because I am not fighting it) sound more in tune to me and the Polytune! :)