Why become a member? ×

Help with Overdriven Tone

PauBass

I'm using an Ampeg SVT Classic head and I mainly use quite a clean tone but I also like a lot the overdriven sound I get from the Ampeg when cranking the gain all the way up.

Since I only like to have and use that overdriven tone for certain parts of the songs we play, I was wondering what's the best way to do it. I know It may sound silly but i'm not completly sure of how to achieve this.
Any ideas?

Any pedal that can give me that tone I'm after?

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='201082' date='May 17 2008, 03:41 PM']So an MXR Micro Amp, maybe?

Not sure how you'd deal with the change in level between the clean and dirty sound though.[/quote]

i've used my cae line booster (posh micro amp) with my ampeg pre and managed to get a good overdriven sound by driving the input a bit harder - unless you go berserk the extra compression that the valves give it when overdriven meant that the volume boost wasn't too bad.

give it a whirl...

I use a TC Electronic Vintage Bass Distortion which has 2 switches. I set it for a nice o/d grind, then I can press the boost switch for an extra 10% of distortion.

Great pedal. Best bass distortion I've had yet. Retains your tone but can tip it over the edge as well.

Thanks guys for all your help!

I had also thought about using a boost pedal but I was kind of worried about the level diference between clean and distorted tones... is it going to be too much?

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='201337' date='May 18 2008, 12:47 AM']I use a TC Electronic Vintage Bass Distortion which has 2 switches. I set it for a nice o/d grind, then I can press the boost switch for an extra 10% of distortion.

Great pedal. Best bass distortion I've had yet. Retains your tone but can tip it over the edge as well.[/quote]

I have listened to the soundclip on their website and seems like a good choice but I'm not completly sure that's what I'm after.

:)

Any other pedal that can give the sound that grit I'm looking for?

[quote name='PauBass' post='201381' date='May 18 2008, 09:17 AM']Any other pedal that can give the sound that grit I'm looking for?[/quote]

suggestions (from my 'umble experience)...

digitech bad monkey - a low-gain overdrive that has plenty of level boosting ability.

mxr bass di+ - two channel overdrive - you can use the clean boost to overdrive the front end of your amp, and also a dedicated distorion channel that you could add some dirt with and also pump up the volume with to hit your valves harder.

line booster pedals (mxr micro amp, cae line booster, ehx linear booster) - will add more grind, but will also raise your volume somewhat..as i said it depends how much overdrive you need really. ive found that in the parts of sone where i need more overdrive a bit of volume boost works well anyway, but best to try if you can.

odb-3 is great choice, can be used as a clean boost, as well as a low gain natural overdrive, and a high gain noise fest. as long as your careful and know how to use the eq/blend effectivly, its a great pedal

Well guys out of all the pedals you've mentioned the ones I've tried and didn't like are the Boss ODB-3 and also the MXR M-80 (which is up for sale on the forum if you are interested).
I've never had a chance to try the Cream Pie or the TC Electronic Vintage Bass Distortion, they seem ok but a bit unsure about the cream Pie since it's a guitar pedal and seems to loose some bottom end.

I mentioned the Muffs because I found this clip and I like the sound of the English Muff'n, listen:

[url="http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/9/968020/english.mp3"]http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/9/968020/english.mp3[/url]

How would you compare the English to the Russian Muff? People seem to favour the Russian over the rest of the Muff family but I've never play any of the muffs.

i think the english muff'n is a different beast to the big muff family, which tend to go straight for the jugular...and are fuzz pedals rather than overdrives...

i'd be quite tempted by the english muff'n (from what i've heard and read) if i hadn't vowed to stop buying pedals

[quote name='BassManKev' post='201540' date='May 18 2008, 02:49 PM']odb-3 is great choice, can be used as a clean boost, as well as a low gain natural overdrive, and a high gain noise fest. as long as your careful and know how to use the eq/blend effectivly, its a great pedal[/quote]

you should just put that in your sig bmk...save yourself some typing :) :huh:

[quote name='ahpook' post='201643' date='May 18 2008, 06:18 PM']you should just put that in your sig bmk...save yourself some typing :huh: :huh:[/quote]
i dunno why i bother :) Boss should pay me i think, i try hard enough!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='201682' date='May 18 2008, 07:22 PM']that english muffin sound sample has put me right off it, seems to totally suck tone away when engaged?? or are my pc speakers being particulary sh*te today[/quote]

it sounds ok to me...

[quote name='metaltime' post='201670' date='May 18 2008, 07:16 PM']FWIW i havnt noticed any low end loss from my cream pie.

English muffin is not very similar to any other muf.f The English muffin is quite highly regarded by some users on talkbass.

Where abouts in the country are you?[/quote]

I'm in Hove, East Sussex.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='201682' date='May 18 2008, 07:22 PM']that english muffin sound sample has put me right off it, seems to totally suck tone away when engaged?? or are my pc speakers being particulary sh*te today[/quote]

[quote name='ahpook' post='201707' date='May 18 2008, 07:40 PM']it sounds ok to me...[/quote]

It sounds ok to my ears too.

[quote name='PauBass' post='201637' date='May 18 2008, 06:12 PM']Well guys out of all the pedals you've mentioned the ones I've tried and didn't like are the Boss ODB-3 and also the MXR M-80 (which is up for sale on the forum if you are interested).
I've never had a chance to try the Cream Pie or the TC Electronic Vintage Bass Distortion, they seem ok but a bit unsure about the cream Pie since it's a guitar pedal and seems to loose some bottom end.

I mentioned the Muffs because I found this clip and I like the sound of the English Muff'n, listen:

[url="http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/9/968020/english.mp3"]http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/9/968020/english.mp3[/url]

How would you compare the English to the Russian Muff? People seem to favour the Russian over the rest of the Muff family but I've never play any of the muffs.[/quote]
the cream pie doesn't lose lowend at all it just makes your sound like your overdriving a tube amp even if you play it through transistor amps

James Lomenzo Hyperdrive all the way! Will add loads of grit if needed and works as a damn fine boost too!

Get it bought -

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-James-LoMenzo-HyperDrive~ID~8587.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...ive~ID~8587.asp[/url]