Why become a member? ×

Played a gig with a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0

Ham fisted Bass

I had the chance to play a gig with Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 - So I took it.

Forget everything you know or thought you knew about amps - This amp is fantastic! I plugged this into a GS112 and into the amp went a MM SR4. We had PA support so I sent a DI into the desk. The sound was terrific loads of growl; definition loads of everything really I had to keep looking at the amp because I could not believe the range of astonishing sounds coming from such a small box.

Oh yeah the lights are cool too..

I haven't tried a Shuttle yet, but I would like to add any weight I can that dispells any myths about small D and H class amplification! You don't have to have a dirty great amp head to have GREAT tone and masses of musical volume!

[quote name='BB2000' post='201354' date='May 18 2008, 01:39 AM']I must say I've never seen such a positive response for an amp as the shuttle has received on talkbass. It's a nice amp but it doesn't deserve all the hype.[/quote]

+/- 0

I see what you mean about hype, it leads me, via a roundabout mental route, to wonder when people will realise that all amps sound more or less the same and that the most hype therefore goes to the amp that has the most va va voom. And this:

has a lot.

[quote name='trent900' post='201357' date='May 18 2008, 01:45 AM']+/- 0

I see what you mean about hype, it leads me, via a roundabout mental route, to wonder when people will realise that all amps sound more or less the same and that the most hype therefore goes to the amp that has the most va va voom. And this:

has a lot.[/quote]
Ha Ha Ha......va va voom (very good) you are both quite right. I have had the opportunity of a second gig with the much fabled Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 It is good, but please note. I do not believe that any more or less people would have danced at the gig if I had used another make of amp.

Sorry for stirring up the hype - but my silly little post will be nothing to that which will be 'whipped up' when the pre orders land.

But the lights are very cool (believe me) far cooler than the other heads at my disposal.

Edited by Ham fisted Bass

Well I tried a GB Neopak 3.5 at Bassdirect and Mark said it had the same preamp section as the Shuttle 6.0. I preferred the sound of the Neopak compared to the MarkBass Little Mark and F1 heads so my decision certainly isn't based on hype.

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='201359' date='May 18 2008, 02:14 AM']I do not believe that any more or less people would have danced at the gig if I had used my R500, Walkabout, or SWR heads.[/quote]
I don't know about you but I use an amp so I can hear myself against the drums and guitar.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='201371' date='May 18 2008, 08:54 AM']Well I tried a GB Neopak 3.5 at Bassdirect and Mark said it had the same preamp section as the Shuttle 6.0. I preferred the sound of the Neopak compared to the MarkBass Little Mark and F1 heads so my decision certainly isn't based on hype.

I don't know about you but I use an amp so I can hear myself against the drums and guitar.[/quote]

Erm..yes but now the Genz returns to its owner...

PS sorry for editing I re-read the post and it wasn't what I wanted to say.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='201371' date='May 18 2008, 08:54 AM']Well I tried a GB Neopak 3.5 at Bassdirect and Mark said it had the same preamp section as the Shuttle 6.0. I preferred the sound of the Neopak compared to the MarkBass Little Mark and F1 heads so my decision certainly isn't based on hype.

I don't know about you but I use an amp so I can hear myself against the drums and guitar.[/quote]

Yes, it's close to the Neo. It's the Neo preamp feeding an icepower 500W asx2 power amp. What I meant is that reading talkbass you'd get the impression that it's a quantum leap in bass amplification, which it isn't.

[quote name='BB2000' post='201402' date='May 18 2008, 10:13 AM']Yes, it's close to the Neo. It's the Neo preamp feeding an icepower 500W asx2 power amp. What I meant is that reading talkbass you'd get the impression that it's a quantum leap in bass amplification, which it isn't.[/quote]

Totally right.

However, in an effort to sum this up, having tried one live - I think that the attraction is, that its small; powerful; good sound with flexibilty and power and in relative terms its inexpensive. IMO the hyperbole on TB has been running because there is an now american built 'answer' to Markbass. Its no better than my R500 or Boogie Walkabout, but without either of these I'd certainly be after one.

[quote name='BB2000' post='201402' date='May 18 2008, 10:13 AM']Yes, it's close to the Neo. It's the Neo preamp feeding an icepower 500W asx2 power amp. What I meant is that reading talkbass you'd get the impression that it's a quantum leap in bass amplification, which it isn't.[/quote]
Well maybe thats what some of the peeps on TB set out looking for and when they couldn't find anything to persuade them from that view they then knew it must be true? :)

[i]He is the Messiah!![/i]

I just know from personal experience what a lot of Emperors New Clothes there is in amps and speaker cabs. Thats why I've been happy with my GK combo for so long.

The GB Neopak kept all the GK's tight mid-range, and tamed the sizzle a little. I don't know yet what the low end response is going to be like but the low end response of my EBS cab sounds a lot tighter and better defined than the GK so hopefully...

[i]...eet will be TOIT! TOIT LOIKA TOIGA!!! YESH YESH!![/i]

Now if only EBS made a Neo212 wedge with extra cheese...

Not sure if it's hype but there are an awful lot of satisfied customers some with apparently a lot of experience who have posted some very through and useful reviews. I ordered one because it fits my needs, its very small and light, has features which for me make it more attractive than the R500 and is also a fair chunk cheaper. The VERY good reputation for customer service is also attractive.
Your right it's not a giant leap forward after all its power section is a commercially available unit but it is very well packaged, why couldn't ashdown get it right?

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='trent900' post='201357' date='May 18 2008, 01:45 AM']it leads me, via a roundabout mental route, to wonder when people will realise that all amps sound more or less the same[/quote]

I strongly disagree with the idea that all amps sound more or less the same. As much of the sound of a bass guitar comes from the preamp section of an amp as from the bass guitar itself or the cabs you send it all through.

The Shuttle looks cool compared to the competition because they've actually managed to fit a valve in the preamp there. I can't wait to see where this technology goes. With my Eden WTX-260 I feel like I have a Generation One iPod. I know it'll be obsolete soon but it's still exciting.

[quote name='pete.young' post='202919' date='May 20 2008, 03:15 PM']Would anyone care to comment on how the Shuttle 3 with a FET pre-amp compares to either the Shuttle 6.0 or Mark Bass kit?[/quote]

Well no here has tried the shuttle yet due to a verrrrry slow ship :) but there is some info here [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406201"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406201[/url]

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='203278' date='May 20 2008, 09:35 PM']If I'd had the presence of mind I'd have used the R500 on the second gig - then I really could have talked b*****ks.[/quote]

:) ouch! Coffee in lap...

Talking of talking bollocks - is there an incipient danger of high-end amps going the way of high-end red wine? Will we ever see the new SWR Viagron 1500 reviewed as 'fruity, with just a hint of vanilla, cobbles, and blackened shoe leather'? Or are bassists too intrinsically sensible?

Personally, my current theory is to hang the sense of it and buy what seems like a good idea at the time. If it's reasonably desirable you're always going to be able to trade it for something you like more later. Which is why a GK 2001RB arrived through my door this morning, and mother of god, I didn't realise the things were so [i]heavy[/i]...

[quote name='trent900' post='203288' date='May 20 2008, 09:54 PM']and mother of god, I didn't realise the things were so [i]heavy[/i]...[/quote]
Which is as good enough excuse as any to get a Shuttle 6.0 in my book. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='203295' date='May 20 2008, 10:02 PM']Which is as good enough excuse as any to get a Shuttle 6.0 in my book. :)[/quote]

Very true. When they arrive, do you think you'll be in the market for an ultralightweight GK head? :huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='203295' date='May 20 2008, 10:02 PM']Which is as good enough excuse as any to get a Shuttle 6.0 in my book. :huh:[/quote]
I will be very surprised if anyone who gets a Shuttle 6.0 is disappointed by it.

The size of the Shuttle 6.0 is one of the most difficult things for an 'old git' like me to get his head around - Oh and the lights :)
[font="Arial Narrow"](for reference my Action Man avatar is wearing the Shuttle 6.0 in a gig bag)[/font]

There is nothing quite like talking bollocks. I had a good play with a Genz Benz GBE 750 and its a cracking amp, but I wanted something lighter than my HD350 not 10 lbs heavier and thats where this new generation of class D amps come in. They all seem to be crammed into tiny boxes though and then you need rack ears or a bag like I ordered for my shuttle. There is a dutch company that does 400W amps in 1U but I dont know why cant they make them in a 2U same as normal amps. A GBE 750 that weighs f*** all would be even better than the Shuttle.