Why become a member? ×

Musicman sterling sub

marcus bell

You mean the Sterling by MusicMan SUB, right?

The MusicMan Sterling SUB was another bass:
[url="http://www.music-man.com/specs/instruments_substerling.html"]http://www.music-man.com/specs/instruments_substerling.html[/url]
which has not been available new for some time, and it would have been about £600.

Because life was not complicated enough already... :lol:

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1357586917' post='1924975']
Yeah the new ones with the 2 band eq and sub written on the head
[/quote]

But the old ones also were 2EQ (well, some were passive), and also said SUB on the headstock.
old: were an Ernie Ball MusicMan product, made in USA.
new: are a Sterling by MusicMan product, made in Indonesia I believe.

There are many other differences, but that one above is the clearest one, as it's stated clearly on the headstock.

So, a bit like Fender and "Squier by Fender"... if Squier were already a model of Fender, to confuse things nicely. Imagine Fender license their designs to another company which gets called Stratocaster by Fender. Then you could buy a Stratocaster by Fender Jazz bass... crazy. :lol:

Edited by mcnach

I played for a few weeks ago,seemed good for the money, neck felt abit cheap but I have a MM so I guess I was comparing it to that,which was 4 times the price.I think the sterling ray34,still I lower end MM but higher than the sub series (confused anyone) may be a better option if you could stretch to it.was a super nice sunburst one on here for £400 a month or so ago

I`d agree with the comments about the Sterling by Musicman basses. I had the Ray34 version, and an EBMM Stingray, and there really wasn`t much in it between the two. The EBMM was 14 years old, so had a very well played in neck, in comparison to the Ray34, being brand new. The only other slight difference I found was in the tone with the Ray34 being slightly brighter.

My first MM bass was a blue SUB5 string with the rippled metal pickguard made in San Luis Obispo.
It was a beast and I saved like mad to get a full stingray 5.
I have never owned a lower end MM since that one, but anything with Sterling on it that I have played in shops feels strangely light and underpowered compared to the SR and this first SUB I owned. Maybe its just me liking to feel the weight of the instrument; its like reassurance or something - just my thing.

My attitude is to always try and stretch as far as you can up the tree when buying basses as too many times I have bought the cheaper production version to lose money parting company with it several weeks/months later and buying the dearer one anyway.
Might not always be possible but if you can afford it (given the state of the economy), I'd reccommend trying to pick up one of the older SUB or a cheap 4 str ray.
It's a buyers market.

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357645053' post='1925766']
, but anything with Sterling on it that I have played in shops feels strangely light and underpowered compared to the SR and this first SUB I owned.
[/quote]
I hope you don't mean the actually MM Sterling?! ;-) cuz I have one and they are the dogs nads. I do know what you mean though,I think once you have had a taste of the 'real deal' its hard to appreciate lower end stuff. Lots of places are doing 0% finance (if your under 25 the take it away scheme is brilliant) now so if that's your thing,a 'proper' MM could only be a phone call away. Get a MM sterling though!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1357668054' post='1926389']
This is the USA made SUB: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194883-usa-made-musicman-sub-in-teal/page__p__1914100__hl__sub__fromsearch__1#entry1914100"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1914100[/url]

Not much more money, but used.
[/quote]

oooh! sexy! and I really like it in that colour too!
If I were remotely after another Stingray, I'd take it off your hands so fast!!!

I know what you mean about the neck looking not so neat. My current 4 string SUB is ok, but I had a SUB5 previously and looked worse than yours. It's just easy to mark, and flash photography make it look worse than it is, mostly you don't feel it at all. There are some gouges where the black finish is gone, same as my SUB5... again, in mine it was not a big deal. In any case, it is very easy to remove the black finish and leave a beautiful naked maple neck. Just oil it, and you are done. Simple and beautiful.

I'd but this over a Sterling By MusicMan any day, despite the SBMM being nice and good looking... these original SUBs are amazing basses.