Why become a member? ×

What was Zender playing through?

Fionn

I'm pretty sure it was some sort of all-valve Trace in the "Travelling Without Moving" period. Like, V8 or something like this. On the first album the sounds were much more sterile, don't know what it might have been. There's a Hartke combo and cabs in the "Space Cowboy" video, but then that version was recorded later, he didn't play on the album version of the song.

During the bands infant years he used Trace amps then moved onto Mesa amps whilst they were touring the Travelling Without Moving album. I saw them play 3 times before that album and I always saw a Trace backline. Twice with a AH amp (possibly 600w 12 band, but I'm not sure) and a 410/410 cab setup and once with a V8 amp into a Classic 810T cab.

I was never that keen on his Mesa tone. He went for a warmer, fluffier tone which I didn't like very much. I have never seen him use Warwick amps. The last time he was regularly performing live was with Mark Ronson and I distinctively remember him using Ampeg amps when I saw him play at V festival. That was a while back though, so I have no idea what he is using now. He could be using Warwick right now, but I haven't seen him on a stage using their amps yet.

I saw Stuart up close soundchecking on the first big Jamiroquai tour in 93 and he was indeed using a Trace setup . Couldn't tell you the model exactly , but I remember it was a head from the current range at that time that had the TE logo moulded into it , probably the 350 or 500 watt one , and I think he had a 4x10 + 1 x15 setup . He was playing his Warwick Steamer Stage 1 and for one number in the set he used a pink Musicman Stingray .

[quote name='such' timestamp='1357387988' post='1921905']
I'm pretty sure it was some sort of all-valve Trace in the "Travelling Without Moving" period. Like, [i][b]V8[/b] [b]or something like this[/b][/i]. On the first album the sounds were much more sterile, don't know what it might have been. There's a Hartke combo and cabs in the "Space Cowboy" video, but then that version was recorded later, [b][i]he didn't play on the album version of the song[/i][/b].
[/quote]

It was more likely a V6 as I have a pic of him in an old Trace Elliot catalogue from about '98. The V8 came out after 2000, I remember it being demo'd at music live through an 8x10 by David Jacob with his green 6-string Status. Stunning!

Interesting, who did play it then? Neither Nick Fyffe or Rob Turner were in the equation back then..

Nobody knows really except for the band. They refer to the bassist as Mr X. There is a word that he wasn't a very pleasant person to deal with. Stuart was in Paris at the time, having some sort of relationship emergency with his then-girlfriend Milla Jovovich.

Another well known Jamiroquai song from the Zender-era that was recorded by another bassist was "When You Gonna Learn" from the first album. It was recorded before Stu joined the band, and it was Andrew Levy of The Brand New Heavies on the bass.