Why become a member? ×

Short scale Flats

Pow_22

[size="3"][color="#000000"]Picked up a dirt cheap Epiphone EB0 shortscale bass last week. Done a bit of a set up on it and it sounds ok. Only thing is it came with rounds on it (forgot how much I hated them), anyone know of any decent short-scale flats that will go on it? [/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"]My other basses all wear either Fender 9050M’s or Picatos. The only flats I can find in shortscale are the Roto’s but with pretty weedy gauges.[/color][/size]

Not sure if this is helpful or not but I had a set of long scale flats kicking about which, after asking on here, were fine trimmed down a bit and fitted on my EB0. Maybe you already have some old ones somewhere?

I like d'Addario Chromes on my Dearmond Starfire, they sound good & feel nice to me, though take a while to play in tonally IMO.

Status also do short scale flats in 40-100 & 45-105. Not tried their 30" scale sets, but had a set of 45-105 on my P-Bass for last couple of years - nice old school thumpy tones.

Cheers for the answers. Never thought of Status, heard good things about them and they are dirt cheap. Also seen a set of GHS short scales on ebay from US at about £15 delivered. Think the status's might be worth a go

I made the same mistake as you - short scale basses don't need heavy strings hence the gauges Rotosound offer. I have a .110 or .115 E string on my Fenders but when I started playing a Hofner I tried with the heavy strings only to find out from my shop that if it's shorter than 34" you can come down a few gauges and still get the sound. I put some roto flats on and it sounded great. It feels wrong writing this down but trust me it works fine