Why become a member? ×

Fender pickguard experts

Dr.Dave

Just treated my 73P to a nice shiny red t'shell job. I got the proper '70's job with the weird central screw in the middle.

My bass doesn't have a screwhole there and I can't recall if the original pickguard did either. Not really bothered but I am wondering why Fender deemed it a good idea to have a screw there in the 70s period. Were the bodys drilled or was it just a pickguard hole. Anybody know why??

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1357141778' post='1918018']
Unless I'm mistaken it's a hole for the thumb rest but the hole isn't drilled
[/quote]

Think you must be mistaken because the two holes for a thumbrest are above the pickup on the top edge of the pickguard and the bass has the 2 holes to match. It had a thumbrest on originally but I took it off the day I got it !!

Sounds from OBBM's reply that the central hole only exists to confuse greying folk called Dave !

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1357142242' post='1918033']
Think you must be mistaken because the two holes for a thumbrest are above the pickup on the top edge of the pickguard and the bass has the 2 holes to match. It had a thumbrest on originally but I took it off the day I got it !!
[/quote]

My '73P has the thumbrest below the strings

If you do it is a throwback to some of the 70's stuff Fender made, the Geddy lee has a middle screw as well, it is basically for looks nowadays.

Originally it was there to hold the plate, the plastic could warp and twist over time and without the middle screw it could buckle of pull inwards cracking itself around the edges.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1357144652' post='1918093']
Hey Dave,

You mean under the strings?
[/quote]

I suppose it depends how you are looking at it. From where I am right now it's to the right of the strings. ;)

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1357144652' post='1918093']
Hey Dave,

You mean under the strings?
[/quote]

For clarity

Originally mine had a thumbrest on the top edge of the pickguard where it would be in the way for my fingerstyle playing so I took it off. The holes are obviously still there in the body and the new pickguard has holes in the same place.

'OBBM' Dave's same year bass has a thumbrest below the strings - the idea being to hook your right hand finger under it and pick the strings with your thmb (possibly the worst idea anybody ever had). BUT - if my thumbrest had been in that location I'd have left it there because it wouldn't be in my way.

The central hole I'm wondering about is countersunk - just like ordinary pickguard holes (though the ones for the thumbrest are not) - and is pretty much right in the middle of the pickguard almost under the G string , neck side of the pup. There's no hole in the body though and it's the same on OBBMs.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1357144953' post='1918101']
If you do it is a throwback to some of the 70's stuff Fender made, the Geddy lee has a middle screw as well, it is basically for looks nowadays.

Originally it was there to hold the plate, the plastic could warp and twist over time and without the middle screw it could buckle of pull inwards cracking itself around the edges.
[/quote]

I had considered that but why , then , if it had been an improvement based on what has happened over time to earlier basses , did they dump the idea after the 70s? I thought the idea behind 3-ply material was because of its anti warping properties.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1357145903' post='1918135']
My understanding was that it could be fitted in the "where it should be" place OR there was a hole for the old fashioned 50s style just below the strings for that Brian Wilson technique with the thumb. If you post a picture it may help
[/quote]

That sounds bloody reasonable except for one thing - why countersink the hole ? The other 2 aren't countersunk and neither are the ashtray holes.

I need to feed and shower then I'll take a pic.

Here we are

The 2 holes on the top edge of the new installed pickguard line up perfectly with the original body holes where the thumbrest was.

The mystery countersunk hole can be seen near the G string slap in the middle of the body - no body hole there or anywhere near.

The pickguard I just took off is under the bass - it's not the original (which I cut into a fancy shape). You can see it has a countersunk hole in the middle of the top edge. I had to drill a new body hole for it years back. The new one does not have that hole and is a bit flappy as a result. I'll likely countersink the 2 thumbrest holes as they're in the same vicinity , put a couple of screws in them and that should firm it up.

If I were Mr Fender I'd have had a couple more screws around the jack socket too - or even better a plate like a Jazz bass or the original Precision. Bloody cheapskate.

I might have ' Dr ' engraved on the tone knob and ' D ' on the vol. It's an incredibly tacky thing to do which increases the chances of me doing it ten fold !!

I must get round to having the badass rebated in too - unless anybody wants to swap it for a badass 2 so long as I can keep the brass saddles.

I believe it is and the screw is singular so perhaps needs to be more sturdy. Tell me I'm wrong anyone???? But it's what I've always assumed

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/solidsender07/5451903575/in/set-72157626071834176/"]http://www.flickr.co...57626071834176/[/url]

Edited by BurritoBass

my '77 P has that hole and it's countersunk and has a screw fitted, i always presumed it was to stop the plate from warping as throwoff said. however my bass has had a few mods and I've never had the plate off so i have no idea how original it is.

matt

My 83 usa P bass has a screw in that position (just below the g string, halfway between the pups and the neck), countersunk like the rest holding the white single ply pickguard on (15 in total). Oh and no thumbrest, surely when playing fingerstyle thats what the top of the bass pup is for?