Why become a member? ×

Daisy Chaining from a tuner Vs PSU

alstocko

I`ve daisy chained from a Boss TU2 and it worked fine, although the TU2 itself was being powered by a PSU. Just figured it would be less plug sockets to fill up - always a help at gigs where they can be sparse - and saved having a PSU for each pedal. I was using 3 at the time.

I prefer a kettle lead into power supply than a hardwired wall-wart daisy-chained......the latter tend to break much more often.
Also, you can usually get a lot more MA from a dedicated power supply as opposed to a tuner. I think a Boss TU-2 can supply around 200ma, although the Polytune is more from what I remember.
My Gig-Rig power supply gives me 5amps of available power.

Si

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1357117481' post='1917564']
I think my tu3 can supply up to 7 boss pedals? [/quote]

It depends on the ma rating of those 7 pedals.
Generally speaking, you can treat milliamps like amp wattage headroom, you want more than you need. I would want my power supply to not be running over half capacity, so say the Boss tuner can supply 200ma, and you have 7 pedals that total 170ma, you're going to probably start hearing some excess noise and perhaps some sag with regards to the actual effects.
In your case, if you have 7 Boss pedals that add up to 90ma (Check Boss Area for the ratings), you're fine.

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1357115306' post='1917534']
I prefer a kettle lead into power supply than a hardwired wall-wart daisy-chained......the latter tend to break much more often.
Also, you can usually get a lot more MA from a dedicated power supply as opposed to a tuner. I think a Boss TU-2 can supply around 200ma, although the Polytune is more from what I remember.
My Gig-Rig power supply gives me 5amps of available power.

Si
[/quote]
+1 to that, I bought a 3-metre kettle lead to run from my plugboard at the back of the stage to my GigRig Generator underneath my Pedaltrain. I always carry spare kettle leads, it would cost a lot more to carry spare PSUs.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1357122672' post='1917622']
It depends on the ma rating of those 7 pedals.
Generally speaking, you can treat milliamps like amp wattage headroom, you want more than you need. I would want my power supply to not be running over half capacity, so say the Boss tuner can supply 200ma, and you have 7 pedals that total 170ma, you're going to probably start hearing some excess noise and perhaps some sag with regards to the actual effects.
In your case, if you have 7 Boss pedals that add up to 90ma (Check Boss Area for the ratings), you're fine.

Cheers
Si
[/quote]

oh yeh im always supper carefull! currently im just using the tuner but like you say i make sure im well inside the ma rating.

andy