Why become a member? ×

Knobs on pedal getting twiddled in the bag

queenofthedepths

Basically I carry my ME-50B to rehearsal (since I don't NEED anything else just for practise...) in the big pocket in my gig bag, which is conveniently exactly the right size, but when I get there, all the knobs have moved around and I have to put them back exactly where I want them every bloody time - it's fair enough setting the EQ for specific rooms and what have you, but I would rather do that on my bass and the amp, because at the end of the day it's coming back to the same room where I'll be practising and everything's set up nicely - I was playing for a while earlier and I thought something was broken before I realised that the EQ was all over the place...
Anyway, advice as to how to stop the knobs getting knocked about? Will strategically-placed bubble wrap keep them still?

I'm not sure how many knobs we are talking about, but here are a few random thoughts -

1 - run a piece of masking tape across the knobs before you bag it. That should help to keep them in place.

2 - take the knobs off: tha shafts are less likely to turn.

3 - make a note of the settings, and include that as part of your load in/load out. E.g. put mains lead in, put speaker lead in, put instrument lead in, set knobs up, switch on.

4 - build a cardboard sleeve/lid and stick that over the knobs before you bag it.

I'd be inclined to go for 4. Canibalise a corrugated cardboard carton, and glue it up with a hot-melt glue gun or something like that.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='199790' date='May 15 2008, 05:55 PM']I'm not sure how many knobs we are talking about, but here are a few random thoughts -

1 - run a piece of masking tape across the knobs before you bag it. That should help to keep them in place.

2 - take the knobs off: tha shafts are less likely to turn.

3 - make a note of the settings, and include that as part of your load in/load out. E.g. put mains lead in, put speaker lead in, put instrument lead in, set knobs up, switch on.

4 - build a cardboard sleeve/lid and stick that over the knobs before you bag it.

I'd be inclined to go for 4. Canibalise a corrugated cardboard carton, and glue it up with a hot-melt glue gun or something like that.[/quote]
1 and 2 are possible, 3's what I've been doing but 4 sounds like the best answer! Thanks very much :)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='199969' date='May 15 2008, 10:06 PM']put a bit of tape on the board to mark where the knobs are set then if they do get moved, you know where to put them back to[/quote]

Isn't that just what you see when you see secretly taken pics of famous player's pedal boards on the net? They're covered with masking tape with the settings marked on them so it must happen to the best of us too...

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='200570' date='May 16 2008, 05:01 PM']chinagraph pencil works well to mark the settings[/quote]
Another great suggestion - thanks!

[quote name='ahpook' post='200605' date='May 16 2008, 05:58 PM']camera phone ?

it's what i do[/quote]
Sadly my phone is AIDS (I miss my old one! :)) and doesn't take pics; I used to take my camera to band practise but I'm a bit afraid of banging into something and smashing it - it's happened with mp3 players...