Why become a member? ×

Cars for Bassplayers

cloudburst

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359068452' post='1949565']
I don't get the reference.

No, it's because putting something into the sea displaces the volume of that object. Put enough 5000 room ocean cruisers in it, and obviously the sea levels will rise.
[/quote]

the fraction of water that 10000 huge boats displace is very small compared to the rest of the seas, and even underwater ice... so I doubt that water rising is even measurable.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1359072119' post='1949644']
...and what about all those rivers, eh..? Chucking millions of litres into the sea ever since time began..! No wonder the sea level is rising. You can't beat basic, known, facts. I've seen it myself, so it must be (probably...) true. :mellow:
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Pentode' timestamp='1356386645' post='1909908']
Merc E Class Estate? Can get the whole planet in mine....
[/quote]

that's just what I was gonna say, and preferably the 300-TE 24v
although I actually had the same straight six engine in a coupe and I could fit my StingRay, 1x15 cab and Bassman head, plus big Pedaltrain effects case and other bits n bobs all in the boot of the coupe.
aahh...those were the days!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1359074746' post='1949677']
I'll take your word on the volume, but 1 cubic km would weigh 1,000 x 1000 x 1000 tonnes (1 cubic metre weighs 1 tonne...)
Multiply by your 1.3 billion and we have a serious lot of zeros, and no idea of what such a number could be called (other than 'astronomical'..?).
Have I missed something..? Corrections welcomed.
(Don't mind me; carry on regardless...)
[/quote]

1000x1000x1000 = 1billion (1e9)
multiplied by 1.3billion (1.3e9) = 1.3e18 = 1.3 [color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3][u]quintillion[/u] tonnes (original mistake of 1e18 being a trillion amended - mix up of long and short scales :))[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Protium

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1359117737' post='1950108']

but humans just fight, regardless.

it can be about religion... or anything else that can be used to make a group of "us" versus a group of "them".

humans are fundamentally stupid when they group and stop thinking as an individual.

but I agree about religion being one of the worst evils: the hypocrisy in it is powerfully emetic. (talking mostly about the catholic church, as that's the one I have observed the closest)
[/quote]

I agree, but think of all the evils that would have been avoided without it. We would probably have cures for lots more diseases now if the church hadn't gotten control over the literature that was and wasn't allowed to be read, and not only that, but contained most of the people that were able to read. My sister is quite religious, and tried to deny that that happened. I told her to wise up and read a book about it (she reads lots of books already, but apparently none about this).

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1359123511' post='1950215']
Ummm... how the hell did we get onto religion and rising sea levels in a car thread :lol:

The rising sea level thing can carry on as no harm done etc...

Lets drop the religion talk though please, forum rules etc :)
[/quote]

But God makes the sea levels rise.

*Runs away*

I am just joking :D

So those sea levels, eh? what's going on there? Who knows? not me.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359061055' post='1949375']
Marv... can i call you Marv? This is just french cars all over. My dad used to have an old peugeot 309. There was a light that always came on (stayed on constantly) that said their was a fault with the oil pump (or maybe it was the glow plugs). But after changing the pump (or plugs) twice, the light still stayed on. I think he even replaced the light. In the end, he decided it was "A f*** up of a thing" and took the light out entirely. It's just some of the incredibly ANNOYING character you get with a french car. It's like a friend that snorts when they laugh. If you are really unlucky, it's like a really ugly friend that tries to get you into bed every time they are drunk.
[/quote]

You can certainly call me Marv, it's still not my real name :ph34r: :)

My French car, looks lovely, just very poorly put together. :unsure:

:)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1359140970' post='1950732']
You can certainly call me Marv, it's still not my real name :ph34r: :)

My French car, looks lovely, just very poorly put together. :unsure:

:)
[/quote]

Well, there's no accounting for taste :P

I'd have to spend a hell of a lot of money before i bought a car that i genuinely liked the look of. My tastes are just too... something.