Why become a member? ×

Bass sound changing during gig?

urbanx

Something I've noticed recently:
About 45 mins into a gig my bass sound seems crapper! A bit more distorted and clippy.
This is the sound coming from my amp not the venue.
I use a Fender Jaguar (a real one) Hartke HA3500 head, and Marshall 410 cab.
Is there anything that'd change in sound over that time? I don't change any settings.

Weird thing is our keyboard player says he has the same thing, which led us to think it might be our ears?!

Any thoughts?

Do you mean your keyboard player hears the same thing happening to your bass, or his amp?

If you're both hearing the bass sound change it will be your amp.

I had a Trace Elliot amp that seemed to lose power. Traced it to a dry joint. When the amp got hot the resistance changed. A quick dab with the soldering iron fixed it

Probably - you are all getting louder; you start at a reasonable volume after the sound check and then creep up each in turn, until the room starts to propagate certain frequencies degrading the sound more generally. So many key frequencies you rely on for definition are mixed up in the mush that is now bouncing around. This is just one possibility but every hall and room has a finite or optimum level it can cope with, I believe you all need to discuss this phenomenon so you can all recognise it when it happens and take the nod from the one who first notices it. And all come down a notch. If you don't discuss it off stage then who ever is told first just thinks FO i cant hear myself now so it cant be me!! :D :lol: :) :( :angry: