Why become a member? ×

Late '70's early '80's rare Fender precision colour

Chris Horton

A friend of mine has a pink fender precision which may go up for sale.

I am trying to get some information together about it.
I know that these bass guitars were made in small numbers and I believe in the following colours ----
- pink
- orange
- blue
- yellow
The colour finish on these basses had a thick plastic type of colour to the body.

Are there any 70's / 80's fender experts that know anything about this range of bass guitars?

Cheers
Chris

The orange one was called Capri Orange . It could conceivably fade to pink , or be mistaken for it . I think Fender made these colours between about 1979 and 1981 , presumably to woo the punk/ new wave players of the day with their radical and uncompromising colour schemes . The colours you describe were indeed the Fender International range. They were for the most part , monumentally awful instruments . Fender offered special incentives for dealers to stock them at the time . In retrospect , the colours were beautiful but the quality of Fenders at this time was at an all time low , just before the management buy-out , if I remember rightly .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1355600287' post='1900529']
I seem to remember in the early 1980s Tempo(?) in West London had a batch of USA Fender Precisions for a more than reasonable £225 as long as you wanted an Orange or Yellow one.
[/quote]

If only we had a time machine to go back in time and bring home a load of guitars !

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1355601562' post='1900543']
If only we had a time machine to go back in time and bring home a load of guitars !
[/quote]
Very true!
I can't remember how much a full price USA Precision was at the time but i remember these being a bargain (if you could put up with the colour). This was circa 1980 so tastes were a lot different then!

P.S. I've just remembered what my avatar was after i mentioned taste. Again, another example of 80s taste!

Edited by BetaFunk