Why become a member? ×

Defret and Refinish

Myke

Hey all,

I've decided to defret/refinish my bass! It's a Hohner Arbor Series bass I bought off my mate for £10 four years ago. Since then it's been at a mates house unused. So I decided I want something to do over christmas now that uni is on a break and I read a Jaco book and obviously was inspired :P

Atm it's covered in stickers and there is a few burn marks from my 'Rock n Roll' years where I tried to play it on fire.. But it should be fun!

Here's a few pictures.

[attachment=124815:DSC00052.JPG]

[attachment=124816:DSC00057.JPG]

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1355272187' post='1896347']
It's worth checking that the body is actually made from wood (as opposed to ply) before starting to strip it.
You should be able to get a look insode the neck pocket when you take the neck off.
[/quote]

I wish I read that before I had started sanding the back but tbh the only reason I did was because I ruined the head on one of the screws on the back of the body so now I have to drill it out.

Finally got the neck off! Dom was right, body is made of ply. So the plan now is to strip it as I've already started and then respray it with some colour.

The neck has been defretted. Few tips... Don't heat the fret until you have the beginning out because I found it more difficult to grab. Also patience is a virtue!

Half done!

[attachment=125045:DSC00061.JPG]

All done!

[attachment=125046:DSC00063.JPG]

Close up

[attachment=125047:DSC00064.JPG]

:)

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1355431339' post='1898434']
Well done, it's a satisfying job isn't it!
I fell for the plywood body, I bought a cheapie off ebay and planned to strip it, thankfuly I spotted the play before I started. I fitted it with a wooden scratch plate in the end. Always be suspicious of cheaper bass bodies , you do get some wooden ones , even on cheapies though.
[/quote]

It really is :)

I'm assuming ply bodies don't sound as nice?

Cheers for all the help guys :)

Right today I glued the veneer in the slots. Almost buggered one up where it got stuck to my finger when I let go and it came out with me but hopefully may have saved it! I will have to see tomorrow.

A few pics.
Whole fretboard with the veneer sticking out.

[attachment=125456:DSC00065.JPG]

Snazzy little close up of the first few frets, these are both before glueing but they look the same afterwards.

[attachment=125457:DSC00066.JPG]

Edited by Myke

So today I sanded down the veneer strips, what a palaver that turned out to be! Sanding worked but was going to take years sawing didn't work, so in the end I snapped each strip down closer to the fretboard, heart in mouth moment everytime!, and then filed it almost flush.

Then I sanded it with 80 grit, 120 grit and then 320 grit wrapped around a home made radius block. Smooooth now! :)

Radius Block

[attachment=125503:DSC00070.JPG]

The dusty end

[attachment=125504:DSC00067.JPG]

First few frets again

[attachment=125505:DSC00068.JPG]

Next job sand the sides and tidy the rest up, then onto the body!

So today I hit it hard with the sander. I managed to drill out the screws that broke off in the body and then refilled the holes for when I rescrew the scratch plate back on.

Sanded almost all of the paint off the body, can properly see the ply now. Also I sanded the headstock and back of the neck as I prefer the more raw maple colour and tidied up the sides of the neck.

Plain headstock
[attachment=125630:DSC00072.JPG]

Front
[attachment=125631:DSC00073.JPG]

Back
[attachment=125632:DSC00074.JPG]

That ply actually looks quite nice like that. I have made a few bits and bobs, like photo frames and stuff, out of ply, and left natural, because I think it looks quite pretty. Obviously it depends on the ply. The trouble is, even though yours looks nice, there is a stigma attached to guitars made from it, it would be a brave thing to not paint it.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1356120312' post='1907236']
That ply actually looks quite nice like that. I have made a few bits and bobs, like photo frames and stuff, out of ply, and left natural, because I think it looks quite pretty. Obviously it depends on the ply. The trouble is, even though yours looks nice, there is a stigma attached to guitars made from it, it would be a brave thing to not paint it.
[/quote]

I had thought of doing that but unfortunately where I have sanded it, it's become quite in consistant and kind of made it a bit patchy so I'm going to paint it.

I do quite like the purpley bit on the side though.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1356120871' post='1907241']
I had thought of doing that but unfortunately where I have sanded it, it's become quite in consistant and kind of made it a bit patchy so I'm going to paint it.

I do quite like the purpley bit on the side though.
[/quote]
That's a shame. But yeah, it really does depend on the ply. It is a shame that people will often automatically cover it up without taking its aesthetics into consideration. Mind you, if you claim that it's made up of several sheets of really rare wood, illegally logged from right under a nursing Orang Utan, you can add a couple of zeros to the end of the sale price.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1356121846' post='1907245']
That's a shame. But yeah, it really does depend on the ply. It is a shame that people will often automatically cover it up without taking its aesthetics into consideration. Mind you, if you claim that it's made up of several sheets of really rare wood, illegally logged from right under a nursing Orang Utan, you can add a couple of zeros to the end of the sale price.
[/quote]

Hahah :D Sounds likes a plan!!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1362090271' post='1995777']
Are you still working on this?
[/quote]

Yupp, but it's come to the refinish stage and I'm waiting for some warmer weather and also I've been at uni so haven't had any time for it unfortunately but I have 3 weeks off at the end of March so I'm hitting the laquering and painting then :)

I realise it has been a while but hopefully it'll be playable soon! :)

Thank you for your interest :)

[size=2]Whoops spell check :P [/size]

Edited by Myke

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1355477818' post='1898801']
IMO influence on tone of the body is largely a myth. I suspect that some super dense materials will give slightly more sustain and brightness but 90% of woods (including ply) make no discernible difference.
[/quote]

+1 Agreed, thereby negating yards and yards of twaddle on the subject. IMHO, of course. :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1362226656' post='1997197']
Nice work Myke!
[/quote]

Thank you :)

Right so after finishing an essay on the contribution Jaco made to bass.. I want this fretless more and more!

Just one busy week before I can start the finishing :)

Keep your eyes open :D

I have to ask your opinion, if you please :)

As the weather is horrible and cold, I have a feeling that I won't be able to do anymore until it warms up.

My can of lacquer says to be used within 15-25 degrees, and it's not much more than 4 here.. If I still did it would it affect the drying process or anything? It will be in an unheated garage so..?

If not I'll have to wait until april/may time before I can do anymore :(

Finishing in the cold can lead to moisture getting trapped under the paint which causes blushing. Misty foggy, flat appearance. You can combat this by getting your work peice warmer than the environment. An oil radiator or similar heater which has no exposed element or dust inducing fan placed directly beneath the hanging guitar will combat this. Also warm the can up in a bowl of warm water first to improve the flow.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1364249188' post='2023953']
Finishing in the cold can lead to moisture getting trapped under the paint which causes blushing. Misty foggy, flat appearance. You can combat this by getting your work peice warmer than the environment. An oil radiator or similar heater which has no exposed element or dust inducing fan placed directly beneath the hanging guitar will combat this. Also warm the can up in a bowl of warm water first to improve the flow.
[/quote]

So it's still doable?