Why become a member? ×

gospel sound...

charliethornton

I'm having an Overwater Contemporary Jazz being built for me with Bartolini soapbars. I'm looking for a gospely sound and I'm hoping the spec of the OW will send me on my way... however I need a decent amp! What can you all suggest I look into? (makes AND models please... not just the manufacturers name... ) I want something with a nice heavy low end with the punch and warmth to make a heart melt... You know what I mean?

Fire away!

I'm a church player but I'm not quite sure what you mean by a gospel sound. Could you give some examples .
Also we'll need some sort of guidance as to what your needs are for an amp. Combo ? Head & cab(s) ? Is weight a big issue ? What sort of venues ? just stage monitoring ? etc etc.

I thought the typical gospel sound was just an active Hi-Fi bass tone? You should be able to get close with most active basses.

5th string or a drop D tuner is probably a good idea. What are you looking into? A full rig or a combo or something in between?
Depending on space, weight and sound needs you can do a lot with a decent budget. For best results try a few setups and get used to EQing with your ears.

Edited by PlungerModerno

Hmm, the gospel sound that makes it onto recordings is not a sound that works very well live. Forget about ideals. You have a bass that can make it happen so just find a sound you can listen to on stage and let the "gospel" sound engineer figure out "the gospel sound". If your live sound is mic'd for FOH then get a neutral sounding Class D amp and scoop the mids with a parametic eq around 250hz.

Good luck hearing yourself, however. On a noisy stage, mids are everything.

Kiwi is pretty spot on there. The typical 'gospel' sound is a bit like that smiley face EQ shape, with loads of warm bass frequencies, loads of super-high top end, and this results in relatively little mid frequency content. This often disappears in the mix. You need to dial in a little more mid and set the high frequency boost a little lower than you might think, just to ensure the bass has enough 'bite' to cut through the mix.

That said, a great amp for the gospel sound is EBS - they have a very similar signature sound. Marcus Miller used these for a while, and they deliver the extended frequency range with top-end zing and bottom end warmth (plus punch) with relative ease.