Why become a member? ×

Tried an Ashdown - Hated it!

molan

I always found Ashdown stuff to be mostly decent - I currently use the MAG410 cab, and I've always thought the MAG heads were pretty decent too.

However, one of the practice rooms I went into a few times used to have ABM300s into Ampeg 8x10s in all of the rooms, and they were all absolutely crap - completely wooly and sounding like I was just playing through a big pillow.

[quote name='twentyhertz' post='200426' date='May 16 2008, 02:04 PM']I always found Ashdown stuff to be mostly decent - I currently use the MAG410 cab, and I've always thought the MAG heads were pretty decent too.

However, one of the practice rooms I went into a few times used to have ABM300s into Ampeg 8x10s in all of the rooms, and they were all absolutely crap - completely wooly and sounding like I was just playing through a big pillow.[/quote]

that would probably be the ampeg cabs, really does depend how the cab is tuned. though the ABM's do have a 'different' tone to the mag, certainly alot less bright and punchy

• 4 weeks later...

I've had an Ashdown 1x10 ABM combo for a long time. The cabs that you use make a BIG difference. I found pretty much my perfect sound last night with the combo running into an Aguilar 1x12. Growly, punchy and defined using my Lakland JO. I was so happy with that combination (which I hadn't used before since the Aggie cab is fairly new to me) that I'm seriously considering selling off my (also recently acquired) Thunderfunk and getting myself a chrome rackmount EVO III...

[quote name='Bigwan' post='218121' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:47 AM']I've had an Ashdown 1x10 ABM combo for a long time. The cabs that you use make a BIG difference. I found pretty much my perfect sound last night with the combo running into an Aguilar 1x12. Growly, punchy and defined using my Lakland JO. I was so happy with that combination (which I hadn't used before since the Aggie cab is fairly new to me) that I'm seriously considering selling off my (also recently acquired) Thunderfunk and getting myself a chrome rackmount EVO III...[/quote]

Please tell me the Thunderfunk is one of the new 'big' ones :)

[quote name='ste_m3' post='218175' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:13 AM']Ashdowns one of the few companies that i find sound really great with almost overdriven high mids through their speakers. Something nice just happens when you push them just a little too hard up there, nice!

However, not enough punch for me :)[/quote]

by that do you mean cranking the high mid on the amp eq?
if not could you expand on it a bit more, i'm interested. :huh:

I've had 2 Ashdowns a Mag 250 1x15 and an Electric Blue 130 with 1x12 (my current amp) and found it very hard to get a sound I liked out of the preamps in them so I use my SansAmp BDDI. The EB 12 seems much better than MAG to me.

I got the Sansamp years ago to get round the problem of using different rigs at gig as I'd always just go straight into the power amp.

I also used the Sansamp with my old Trace BLX combo. The Eden Nemesis NC410 combo I sold recently is the only amp I've had that I was entirely happy with the sound.

[quote name='Doc B' post='218223' date='Jun 13 2008, 12:12 PM']I've had 2 Ashdowns a Mag 250 1x15 and an Electric Blue 130 with 1x12 (my current amp) and found it very hard to get a sound I liked out of the preamps in them so I use my SansAmp BDDI. The EB 12 seems much better than MAG to me.[/quote]

thats odd, as the EB is essentially the mag with a small power output, the eq is the same. what you may be judging it on is the speaker size and the ability of it due to its size. it may simply be you prefer the 12 over the 15 rather than the EB over the MAG.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='218211' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:59 AM']by that do you mean cranking the high mid on the amp eq?
if not could you expand on it a bit more, i'm interested. :)[/quote]

I certainly can! Have you ever tried to get a sort of Marcus Miller tone through a hi-fi toned amp and got an almost painful amount of punch when you pop? really full bodied and you have little or no choice but to drop the high mids to stop your ears bleeding, the ashdown cabs just dont seem to have this problem and sound really sweet up there!

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='200572' date='May 16 2008, 05:04 PM']that would probably be the ampeg cabs, really does depend how the cab is tuned. though the ABM's do have a 'different' tone to the mag, certainly alot less bright and punchy[/quote]
think you'll find ashdown and ampeg dont really go together,i cant get a great sound out of a evo11 head and a ampeg cab.trying a abm 4x10 out tomorrow night so will see what the differance is.