Why become a member? ×

Cab Suggestions

Si600

I'm going to show my ignorance again, but what about the GK MBE210? It's only got a rating of 400w, but as the amp only produces 350w at 8 Ohms there's a 50w gap at full chat, if it ever gets driven that hard.

Then if needed I can get another 210, and plugged into the other speakon output, the amp should provide 350w to each 210?

Or does it not work that way?

No, it doesn't work that way... you'll get out at 4 ohms what the map will produce..likely around 500-ish.
The amp will split that between the 2 cabs resistance..which should be 4 ohms..so 250 each. if the amp was rated at 500m in 4 ohms.
I don't know those cabs..but I would be sceptical about them handling 400watts of bass.
The price doesn't suggest the most robust units..

BUt...all this talk about watts... nobody really knows what it sounds like... and whether your amp can produce that clean or in its dreams..
Same goes for cabs as well...
So on paper, the 2x210 idea should work.

I never think 1x210 will work if you have to push it..but it does depend of the units a lot, IMO.

Really depends on the driver units as JT says, but given that the GK 10" and 12" drivers are probably based around the same motor design you might expect 4x10s to give roughly equivalent performance to 2x12s with the added advantage of modularity. A good 410 is very loud. Recently I've been gigging a single 10" but it's a better driver than you'll find in any commercial (bass guitar) speaker, I EQ to suit the limitations and can usually rely on FoH for low-end reinforcement.
All this really depends on what kind of volume levels you want and what sound you're after?

Edited by LawrenceH

I ended up getting a 212MBE (8 ohm) for my Ashdown ABM500. Couldn't be happier, it sounds f***ing fantastic, loud and relatively portable. I'm planning to get a second 212MBE soon if they're still available - not because I need to (one is plenty loud), but because I feel that at £200 I might as well future-proof my rig.

So yeah, my ABM is running at 380w into one 8ohm cab, and the volume lingers at about half way on the amp (with input at about 2/3). That's plenty of volume for me at the moment. For bigger venues I can DI/mic up. If I were to get another cab, it'd be running in 4ohm mode, so around 575w, divided between both cabs - about 280 watts a piece. They'd easily handle that at full whack - but I'd never ever need to turn it up that much. Not unless I somehow end up doing a stadium tour - at which point it'll be a moot point because I'll be able to afford a set of Barefaced cabs and a second ABM500.

Edited by Ultima2876