Why become a member? ×

Rick, but ?

karlfer

Not really sure, but the TRC doesn't look right, not sure if the binding has the gap behind the bridge, couple of other tiny things. He's not sure if it's 4001/4003.
Double truss rod, well, there have been fakers with double truss rods, I have had a couple.
It's just nagging at me, so hopefully an expert will put me out of my curiosity :P

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1354469216' post='1886320']
Not really sure, but the TRC doesn't look right, not sure if the binding has the gap behind the bridge, couple of other tiny things. He's not sure if it's 4001/4003.
Double truss rod, well, there have been fakers with double truss rods, I have had a couple.
It's just nagging at me, so hopefully an expert will put me out of my curiosity :P
[/quote]cheers mate, it would have had me fooled, no good to me as i'm lefty, always wanted one up til now, a dep that stands in for me has one and hates it ??

The TRC doesn't look right because the ink is worn (and it also looks a bit manky!) and also why he doesn't know whether it's a 4001 or 4003 - it's a 4003 BTW. The shape looks good to me, but I suppose it could be one of those fake TRCs that were available from Italy - they didn't have the model numbers on them. If you mouse over the first image you can just see were the binding stops under the bridge, although there were fakers that also did this.

Mat made basses had twin rods, but they didn't look like those which a correct for a Rick. The fingerboard does have the orangey hue that real Ricks have however - I've never seen any copy which has replicated that, as they all have the darker rosewood that is more commonly used on boards.

Overall I'd say it's good.

Edited by Musky