Why become a member? ×

Can the X Factor judges hear what we hear on the TV?

leschirons

So I watched the X-Factor final last night. It wasn't predicatably won by the boy band, or the crooner, or the gospel singer, but by someone who seemed to have an air of credibility about him - James Arthur.

For all the poo-pooing of the X-Factor, this year it seems to have been decided on actual talent. Yeah I know some of you think the show is an omen of humankind's pending descent to hell in a handcart... but this year I think it's actually demonstrated that it's not always a format based solely on haircuts and sh1t-eating grins.

Could that - dare I say - even be considered a positive contribution to music? A role model for young 'uns to follow?

Nah, thought not. Make room in the handcart, will ya, I want to get comfy :P

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1355137732' post='1894424']Why the hell is any musician watching X Factor? Shame on you all![/quote]

Awww, c'mon, it's not [i]that[/i] bad! :D

Then again, I'm a sucker for pop music. I've stopped smoking, only drink now on occasion, so I have to be allowed at least one vice... surely??

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1355137405' post='1894420']
So I watched the X-Factor final last night. It wasn't predicatably won by the boy band, or the crooner, or the gospel singer, but by someone who seemed to have an air of credibility about him - James Arthur.

For all the poo-pooing of the X-Factor, this year it seems to have been decided on actual talent. Yeah I know some of you think the show is an omen of humankind's pending descent to hell in a handcart... but this year I think it's actually demonstrated that it's not always a format based solely on haircuts and sh1t-eating grins.

Could that - dare I say - even be considered a positive contribution to music? A role model for young 'uns to follow?

Nah, thought not. Make room in the handcart, will ya, I want to get comfy :P
[/quote]

I turned it over to Predators on Saturday night. The sight of a grown man with tattoos sitting in a bedsit crying is not really that entertaining for me. Far be it for me to say that was probably what clinched it for him.

I am aware of the irony that I switched over to Predators in search of something more 'entertaining'.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1355138660' post='1894442']
I turned it over to Predators on Saturday night. The sight of a grown man with tattoos sitting in a bedsit crying is not really that entertaining for me. Far be it for me to say that was probably what clinched it for him.

I am aware of the irony that I switched over to Predators in search of something more 'entertaining'.
[/quote]

Ah, they both did their fair share of crying. It's all part of the 'emotional journey', no? ;)

PS: I quite enjoyed Predators when I saw it. Trashy but fun. Not a patch on the original, mind you.

James is a talented lad. Google Dallas Green (Alexisonfire) who does his own acoustic material...then you can see where he nicked his style from (minus the electronic stuff).

Moaning emo kid...that's what he sounds like.

Works hard?! Oh it must be very hard to be famous and do a few 12 hour days singing for a bit (enjoying himself). Gimme a break!!!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354459736' post='1886145']
Guys, this is nonsense I'm afraid. The show does not influence and distort the music market, it is a PRODUCT of the music market.

As for this concept of the 'musically dumb', well most of us on here are musically dumb, as is the rest of the public. That's why there is simple popular and rock music which sells by the bucketload, and a much smaller market for jazz, avant garde and orchestral music.

People in general don't want to make the effort to develop their musical tastes because they have no concept of the pleasures that may bring. Same with food, clothing, home decor, art, literature and TV .. That's why in Britain today, there will be 10 million people wearing their SuperDry outfit in their magnolia homes with the clip framed Athena poster of a hunk with a baby above the mantlepiece, copy of Fifty Shades of Whatever on the Ikea coffee table, watching the X Factor, while eating fried chicken from a bucket, and looking forward spinning their Adele CD afterwards. Doesn't make them 'dumb' or worthy of hubristic criticism does it?
[/quote]

Amen to that!