Why become a member? ×

New Set of Rotos and Six Hour Rush Marathon...

D.I. Joe

Precision sounds great but... OWW!!

It's been so long since I used these strings that I forgot how rough they are! I know there will be a lot of people who think I should just man the f**k up but I don't think they'll be staying on for too long. Might get some nice soft Nickels on, or maybe some barbed wire...

I know the old issue of Rotosounds has been bashed about so many times already, so the question is - What is most important in a string - feel or tone?

Going by recent sets I've tried I'm really liking Sunbeams at the moment for their feel, and Fender NPS feel and sound really nice to me to, so I'd be more inclined to say feel over tone - though both are important parts of the whole. Thoughts below:

Ultimately it's about getting a good sound and style, so the tone has to be there, but if the string doesn't play well for you, you may not be able to bring out the good tone and/or play with good timing, dynamics etc.

For example, I swear by medium/heavy Rotosound Swings with a medium to high action on the bass, love the playability and sound - especially when new - and play them with quite a bit of force. No problems at all, and my fingers are barely calloused.

But I think it's an individual thing, that people have different kinds of skin that reacts to strings in different ways, different playing styles, and therefore different strings suit different people.

Jennifer

As above, I use heavy gauge Rotosound Steel Rounds, though I prefer the sound when they`re older. I don`t have any problems playing them, I actually prefer the feel of them to any others. The only problem I have with the fingers on my fretting hand is opening bags in the supermarkets, as I`m fairly sure my fingerprints have now been worn away.

[quote name='Joker2807' timestamp='1354123110' post='1882393']
Im torn between the rotos and the sunbeams.. not sure which id prefer
[/quote]

I'm digging both at the moment. I think my soreness may be down to how unnaturally hard I was playing them rather than the strings themselves but all the same - Sunbeams feel great! Have you tried them before or are you just thinking about trying them?

[quote name='Joker2807' timestamp='1354123110' post='1882393']
Im torn between the rotos and the sunbeams.. not sure which id prefer
[/quote]

The Sunbeams last a lot longer and are the best sounding nickel string I have ever heard . They have got a pretty elastic feel though , so be aware of that .

Edited by Dingus

The only snag with trying DRs is that they are really expensive. If you can afford to risk the money to try strings then carry on, but if like me you're a bit tight then keep an eye on the Classifieds section as they pop up occasionally - as new a lot of the time as well! :)

If it makes any difference,
I'm well into the third year of service from the Sunbeams on my Ibanez Blazer.
For me they get better and better as time goes on. A very worthwhile investment.
B)