Why become a member? ×

FREE Richard Bona Gig - July 17th - London!

urb

Hey chaps/ladies

Some of you may have read my Richard Bona piece in BGM recently - well he's back in London in about three weeks time:

Wednesday 18 July 7.30pm
THE LORD MAYOR'S APPEAL FIESTA sponsored by Citi

Email text:

[b]RICHARD BONA and

BASSEKOU KOUYATE & Ngoni Ba -

A concert in aid of The Lord Mayor’s Appeal
Canary Wharf Arena
Admission free[/b]

Cameroon born bass guitarist, singer and songwriter Richard Bona will be headlining the Lord Mayor’s Appeal Fiesta on 18 July, with Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba from Mali.

As part of the annual two-week long Canary Wharf Galas, the Lord Mayor’s Appeal Fiesta will raise money for the Lord Mayor’s Appeal 2007 which is dedicated to raising funds for cross-border learning under the banner ‘Sharing Skills, Changing Lives’ The appeal will benefit the following four charities -VSO, Mansion House Scholarship Scheme, The Guild of Educators and King Edward’s School Witley. The concert will be compered by DJs Rita Ray and Max Reinhardt, co-founders of the legendary Afrobeat club night The Shrine. The event is sponsored by Canary Wharf-based financial services company Citi.

Acclaimed musician Richard Bona is renowned for songs that bubble with Latin and African influences. He will be making his only UK appearance of the year at the Fiesta. His latest album Tiki was given four stars by The Guardian -critic John L Walters said “it's music that makes you smile, moves your feet and touches your heart in ways that more celebrated music personalities can only dream about.”

Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba are making one of their appearances in the UK, before they play the WOMAD festival at the end of July. Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba are Mali's first ngoni quartet and the first band to focus on the ngoni, an ancient traditional lute found throughout West Africa with a history that goes back to the days of Soundiata Keita. The Independent called their debut album Segu Blue “a sure-fire contender for 2007's world music album of the year.”

The concert is free to attend and begins at 7.30pm in the Canary Wharf Arena. Advance booking isn’t necessary – just turn up on the night.

For more information visit www.vso.org.uk

ENDS

Hope to see some of you there - if I can make it

Aaaaaaah - off to Glasto tomorrow - MUD alert! Will report back next week...

Mike

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='20461' date='Jun 19 2007, 10:33 PM']Thats a couple of tube stops from where I work so I should be able to make it. :)[/quote]
Think I might join you for that! Can get very cheap train tix this far in advance. :huh:

Yup, i should be at this!
I gotta come from High Wycombe (south Bucks), how easy is it to get to, and park at canary Wharf? Or would it be better to get a train in to marylebone and tube it, bearing in mind the last train home is 12:10am

Nice
Si

Edited by Sibob

• 3 weeks later...

Right so who's tonight?? (18th). I might be going on my own (various people lamed out)
So gimme a shout!
Probably going into London about 11am ish and having a mooch around the various bass shops/denmark street

I'll be at the gig in a black, over-sized beanie and a 'Pimp That Snack' t-shirt! :-D

Si

p.s.
Obviously I'll be wearing trousers as well, but they're fairly nondescript :)

Edited by Sibob