Why become a member? ×

Moog Minitaur = Amazing (had to share!) EDIT: CLIP ADDED

mcgraham

I couldn't decide whether to start a bass synth thread, but figured this was more to the point of what's on my mind...

I LOVE my Minitaur. Quite literally LOVE the thing.

I got it a month or so ago, and have been fiddling since then. Now I'm playing with the sockets on the back, e.g. CV voltages, headphone out etc.

For those not familiar with the Minitaur, it's a relatively basic 2 oscillator bass synthesizer based on the Moog Taurus pedals, which were giant foot-pedal operated bass synths from the 70s/80s (thereabouts).

I bought it primarily because I wanted and needed a bass synth. The architecture of the synth means it cannot play above C5 - it's a physical constraint of the design. This doesn't bother me, in fact I quite LIKE it has this sort of limitation - it's what makes it a unique instrument in its own right.

There's a lot of hidden features only accessible with MIDI that really sold me on it, but to TBH it's not been implemented well enough yet for me to invest any more time with til the firmware is updated further. This might seem irksome, but frankly...

it reeeeeeally doesn't matter :D the Minitaur is just THAT awesome from the stock settings on the front panel alone. This thing is a FANTASTIC bass machine. Here are a few things I've been experimenting with this week:

1) Running one of the outputs into the audio in - an old synth trick, where you run one of the outputs back into the synth to drive the filter harder. It's finicky, and very interactive, but it makes the instrument infinitely more fun and is yet another tonal colour to use.

It can take a single oscillator and make it the phattest thing you've EVER heard. This thing sounds great on its own with just one oscillator, but running itself back into the filter gives a MASSIVE sound. And because everything is interactive you can get back to clean without losing volume or aggression (unless you want to!) just by altering some settings.

2) Run an EP-2 into the filter - pantherairsoft knows this trick, as will many established synth players. This allows you to play far more complex bass lines and then use your foot to vary the cut-off point of the filter. This is fantastic for blending between smoother and more aggressive versions of the same bassline, from smooth and soft to face-melting aggression - wonderful!

3) Run an EP-2 into the pitch control - This was a trick I picked up from Jordan Rudess (not personally). Basically you can use it as an overall pitch control for the entire instrument, effectively allowing massive dive-bombs or transposing the whole instrument on the fly.

4) Set the LFO to provide vibrato AND wobble - I've found a setting where the slightest touch of the mod-wheel gives you a lovely vibrato, but slide it all the way up and you get a mental dubstep wobble.

I definitely want to do at least an audio clip showing some of the ideas I've been coming up with. I just felt so strongly about how fantastic this instrument is I simply had to post to share. if any of you are interested in the Minitaur I strongly encourage you to check it out - it's a mentally fun 'light on the wallet, but not on sound' type instrument.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1355669461' post='1901116']
Thanks, I think I'd go for the Slim Phatty if I were looking at a synth module for the extra flexibility but this sounds huge and looks a lot easier to use.
[/quote]
I thought the same, but then decided that:
a) one knob per function makes for a better instrument (after my experience playing out lots with the Microkorg XL)
B) more idiosyncrasies would make for a better instrument (the best instruments require you to get to know them)

I'd still love one, but the Minitaur is more intuitive and instantly accessible, but at the same time requires more effort to get to know. It's about your ability to play it, rather than program it.

• 2 weeks later...