Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Attitude II's, any good?

Jellyfish

I've recently had the opportunity presented to me to purchase a Yamaha Attitude II bass for a very good price, but unfortunately I can't find much info on the internet about their quality and any reviews. I've heard some YouTube videos and I also love BIlly Sheehan's tone. The only thing that worries me is the double output and how it works. If anyone owns one and can give me an idea of what it's like then please let me know. :)

The pot that is closest to the outputs is a push/pull pot that combines the output from both pickups. You have volume/tone/volume then. The tone control only works for the woofer (neck pickup). The first pot (closest to he neck) is a volume control for the neck pickup. The middle pot is a tone control for the neck pickup, the push/pull function on that one is a high cut. The pot closest to the outputs is the volume control for the P pickup.The bass is a bit neck heavy but nothing that a good strap won't cure.

Edited by John Schoen

The build quality of the Attitude II is just flawless however it's a quirky instrument and definitely, firmly in the try-it-before-you-buy-it category. The neck is like a proper chunky 70s Precision. It's capable of monstrous sounds (obviously) and if you want the full Billy thing I believe you'll have to pop a FatFinger on it. You don't have to switch the jack from one socket to the other though, it has two volumes IIRC. It also has a push-pull pot which give tone variations. Anything under £800 for one of these is a steal.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1353781388' post='1878456']
It's capable of monstrous sounds (obviously) and if you want the full Billy thing I believe you'll have to pop a FatFinger on it.
[/quote]
...Although you'll probably never notice any difference.I've got one on my Jazz-I can't say that it does anything.

The Attitude is a really nice bass. It's like a Precision crossed with an EB0 and modernised.

These are fantastic basses and VERY worth the money. I remember when they were £900 RRP about 5 years ago on GAK. I phoned them to ask on stock but they we're in the transition of getting the new Lava Red models in so I couldn't buy one when I had the money. Shame because inflation hasn't been very nice to them and they go for £1600 now. Still prefer seafoam green.

I will warn, the necks on them are CHUNKY! Like an old 60's P-bass, Sheehan likes them like this.
But that being said, it doesn't stop you from gliding around the place once the action is set nicely. The neck goes all the way into the body as well, past where you can see, so it ain't going anywhere. :-P

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='John Schoen' timestamp='1353780942' post='1878448']The bass is a bit neck heavy but nothing that a good strap won't cure.[/quote]
[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1353781388' post='1878456']I believe you'll have to pop a FatFinger on it.[/quote]

Add more mass to the headstock of a bass that is already neck-heavy?!?! :blink: :D