Why become a member? ×

OLP, thanks Gumtree.

JohnFitzgerald

Thanks to the Gumtree app on the phone, I found this beauty today.
Local to the office, good price and the seller offered to deliver it to me for free.

It would have been rude not to.
Not a Stingray sound by any manner of means, it's at least a set of new strings away from that.
But it does have a lovely middly burp to it.

I like B)

Edited by JohnFitzgerald

Nice one - looks very impressive I must say.

There has been quite a bit of negative talk about Gumtree & scams and stuff, but I've found it a good place to buy & sell - avoid the daft messages offering more than the asking price if you ship it etc . I do like the try/buy/touch/feel mantra.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1353666207' post='1877086']
And on that point, what might the options be ?
Clearly, the current two volume knobs is a nonsense, but it does rather conveniently provide a suitable place to mount a 1 x volume two band eq on there.

So, suggestions for a preamp ?
I know of Nordstrand.

Others ?
[/quote]

2 band?
Tommorichards assembled a few. I have one (in an OLP), it works very well.
If not, Seymour Duncan and John East would be the ones to go for, I think...

3 band? (bass/treble on a stacked pot)
The Seymour Duncan STC-3M3 one is nice and cheaper than the John East MMSR (3-knob), which is my favourite. The John East's mid control is semiparametric, with a frequency centre sweep control and that alone is enough for me to prefer it (the rest is great too), as it's so useful.
A cheaper option would be to get a 2EQ from Tommorichards, and ask him to stack the bass and treble... then buy the midsweep control module alone from John East. That option will save you a lot of cash... I am lazy, so I don't mind paying a bit more and getting it all in one bit that I can install in 5min and just get on with playing...

One thing: the control cavity on the OLPs is a bit narrower than on Stingrays... you will probably need to remove a bit of wood in some parts, so have a chisel handy. Oh, and don't forget the battery compartment. A quick solution, if routing neatly for a battery cavity: place it under the pickguard. I prefer a proper cavity 'though, with the battery box and an easy to open lid.