Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Vintage AV4 any opinions (yep I know it's a cheapy)

Gilby

My last forays into bass was with a shortscale and it really didn't do it for me, mainly as I'm a woose and couldn't get on with putting heavier strings to get a better, tighter sound. So off I retreated to the world of six strings and fuzz boxes to hide my limitations, which in turn led to more disillusionment. Now I play only my accoustic 6 string and although I do enjoy it more and find myself improving, I still yearn to play bass.
So, being a poor sod, having recently gone through one crisis to another financially, I may have some spare cash soon ! (Woo hoo).
I keep seeing these vintage av4 basses for little money, either used or stock clearance. I'm actually quite taken by the slightly reworked jazz look. I know vintage are a budgety guitar, usually let down by pots, switches etc, which are easy to do, but are these basses any cop?
Cheers in advance.

So long as the neck is good, and the bass feels good in your hands, go for it. Switches/pots/tuners/pickups can all be changed at a later point, and not all at once. Look at it as work in progress, start off with a bass that feels great in your hands, and over time add any improvements, if they are needed.

I've got a mate's 1960 Strat in for repairs, he bought in 2nd hand in '62 & has loved it ever since. - The point is - he picked up my Vintage Advance AV2 Tele Lite style & couldn't put it down, he was over the moon with it. That's dead standard, with all Trevor Wilkinson's hardware & TBH could do with a set up. He had no idea of the name or the price but now he wants one real bad! Testament from a dyed in the wood Fender Strat man B)

That's my impression of the Vintage stuff, punches far above it's weight/cost. Don't worry about the badge just as long as it feels right & sounds good.

Thanks for all the input guys. Reading the comments on guitar forums, there's a lot of love for the LP types from the same stable apart from the dubious pots and switches and the nut which can be poorly cut. Seems there is less concerns about the basses from vintage.
I'm no brand snob, tbh I have been toying with a p bass build with nowt on the headstock but for the money I'm certain I'm better of with something from Vintage. For the prices they go second hand they seem to be a no brainer.
Got a couple I've got my eye on from evil bay, one's quite local so maybe I'll be back amongst the four string brigade very soon.