Why become a member? ×

D'Addario Chromes and Warwick bridges?

Ben Jamin

Evening :)

Bit of a random one.

I've got a 5-string Warwick with the two-piece bridge and the common problem with B-strings not fitting! Had to switch from D'Addario Pro Steels to Warwick Black Label when I got the bass - luckily I really like the Warwick strings so it was never that big a deal... BUT I really want to give these D'Addario Chromes a go. Unlike the Pro Steels the Chromes have silk either end so I'm hoping they might fit... just wondering if anyone with a 5-string Warwick has any experience of such strings etc before I spend £45? :P

Cheers!
Ben

I've got two Rockbass 5ers (one active, one passive) with D'Addario Chromes and love them. Their sound is bright, even the B string (when I finally managed to fit it into the effing hole in the bridge, by stripping it of the silk), even after several months of use.
They are low tension - which suits my hands fine - but not as low tension as Thomastik-Infeld strings, for instance. Thumbs up. Incidentally, if you shop around you may find them slightly cheaper than £45 I think.

Edited by bluejay

I think Warwick makes a great tailpiece, but installs it incorrectly for this very reason. I would unscrew the B side of the tailpiece and simply rotate it back away from the bridge as far as possible, or as far as necessary to clear silk, and still be able to have a screw hold tension in the body, and not offset the notch too much.

Rockbass Corvette 5er bridge (one piece). I sorted mine by drilling the B string hole out :) Easy job with cordless drill. TI flats sound great on two of my basses, they are my string of choice these days. On my Rockbass 5er they sound great I just find the tension too low - weird. Bluejay's experience with D'Addario Chromes suggests my next step.

i was i bit worried for a moment there, i've just bought a st of chromes for my project rockbass 5, it's got the one piece bridge so it looks like i might have to get my drill out to widen the hole. luckily i got the strings at an amazing price from my favorite guitar shop so if i can't get them to fit i won't lose anything selling them on.

matt

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1352931354' post='1869609']
Drilling the hole is easy, can you get me a set at amazing price from same shop?
[/quote]

i think the price was a one off, the owner of the shop used to work at D'addario and is in a band with a guy who still works there (their distribution centre is very close to us) i've spend quite a bit of money in there over the years and have built up a friendship with the guy.

i've seen good prices online though, i think i got a few quid off the the best online price, which i then spent on my bus fare into town and a fresh cream donut!

stringbusters have them for 38 quid for the 5 string set. [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/Ko-Bespoke/productlist.asp?cat=1/BASS+STRINGS/BASS+STRINGS+DADDARIO"]http://www.stringbusters.com/Ko-Bespoke/productlist.asp?cat=1/BASS+STRINGS/BASS+STRINGS+DADDARIO[/url]

[b]Matt[/b]

Matt